[SOS-PCA] SOS October Collector Call Notes

Hill, Sarah E sehill at blm.gov
Wed Oct 4 14:39:03 CDT 2023

Hello SOS collectors, mentors, and program partners,

Happy October! Leaves are falling, the day is shortening, the federal government is still open, and seeds are still being collected! Attached you will find the latest news and updates shared at the last SOS collector call.

See you in November and keep up all the good work,

Sarah Hill, SOS National Curator

National Office Updates

  *   Data QC and reporting!

     *   Please make use of QC dashboards for digital data collection and for paper crews checking your data in the data portal before submitting end of the year reporting.

     *   Many crews are wrapping up for the season. If possible try to send wrap up materials before the crew is done and gone for the season, it makes it much easier to correct issues when the collectors are still around

     *   Follow the instructions on the End of season checklist on the website - it has detailed information for data formatting and sending.

     *   If you did not collect a voucher for any reason, please note that in the herbarium field. This way we know that the voucher information is missing, instead of just blank/not entered

  *   Requesting seed back after cleaning

     *   Remember to submit clearance forms for both Bend or Dorena if you want your seed back!

        *   Send facility appropriate form to your agency coordinator, they will send it to the National Office, and National Office will send it to the cleaning facility

GPLAT

  *   Get Kristy Requested Layers for 2024 by Dec 15, should be a shapefile, excel sheet with spatial data, or link to the data – ksnyder at blm.gov

  *   Got feedback for digital data? Use the feedback form!

     *   https://forms.office.com/r/PtkZyq8KP8

Partner Reports

Bend Seed Extractory

  *   Received about 280 SOS collections, and about 160 are processed – berry heavy year, Malcom has been busy sending berries through the processor. Keep up the good work!

USDA-ARS

  *   All the 2022 collections are live in GRIN global and available for educational and research purposes!

Smithsonian

  *   Follow the guidance on the SOS website for formatting herbarium labels and shipping voucher specimens.

Agency Specific Breakout Sessions

BLM Notes

  *   If you know you will have an SOS crew for 2024, please let Sarah Hill know ASAP! Sehill at blm.gov

FWS Notes

  1.  We narrowly averted a shutdown- continuing resolution was signed into law to fund the government until November 17. So, we have some time until that date comes, but if we do face a shutdown, once I receive guidance from both FWS and Sarah Hill, I will let you all know the guidelines for the rest of season including if you can continue shipping seeds to Bend (Sarah Garvin said they usually do remain working so it is likely you will be able to) and entering your data, etc.

  2.  Amazing work so far this season: 90 SOS collections of 61 species/var. and 12 level III ecoregions sent to Bend. Collections have been made in AL, GA, TN, KY, LA, AR, SC, MS, MN, WI, IL, IA, NV, AZ, and NM.

  3.  Those in the SE, to echo the email Phoebe sent out, please do email me before you send shipments to Bend. Shipping instructions found in the protocol, but feel free to reach out with any questions. Bend does not need to be notified unless it is a fleshy fruit. Anyone working with fleshy fruit? If so, please ship 2-day shipping or overnight, double bagged in cardboard box with one ice pack wrapped in newspaper. This goes for everyone.

  4.  Please also send me your permits, forms, and photos (landscape or habitat, seed, and plant). Be sure to label according to instructions<https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/docs/2021-12/Taking%20Quality%20Photos%20for%20SOS.pdf> (Plants Code_Collector Code-Collection Number_Letter) and wipe any metadata before sending. Annual report (1 per team) and all other documents due by Dec 15th- can send in batches or at once, does not matter to me.

  5.  Kristy Snyder, GIS analyst for the BLM, is requesting feedback on the SOS digital data collection infrastructure so that the national office can improve for next year. When you have the time, please use this link to leave any feedback (all responses are anonymous). https://forms.office.com/r/PtkZyq8KP8.

  6.  Data QC- once you have finished collecting and inputting data into the data portal or Geoplatform for the season (Phoebe will do data entry for the southeast teams), I will look all data sets over and send any comments/changes needed your way.

QC Guidance based on common issues we have seen with the data:

  *   Slope should be a positive integer

  *   Geology: please use National geologic map database http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/mapview/ to find this information.

  *   Average plant height should be a number with a decimal not a range.

  *   Check for trailing spaces in free text fields

  *   DIGITAL (quick note- please let me know when you are DONE editing data and I will let Kristy Snyder know):

  *   Collection Form

     *   Trailing spaces on free text fields such as Locality, Field Notes, Names, etc.

     *   Missing an E in ecoregion code

     *   Adding “County” to end of county field

  *   Scouting Form

     *   Trailing spaces on free text fields such as Locality, Field Notes, Names, etc.

     *   Adding “County” to end of county field

  *   Collection Equation

     *   Missing 2 code unique identifier at end of scouting ID

     *   Date not matching the collection or scouting date

NPS Notes

  *   NPS crews are not submitting third voucher to Smithsonian this season but should still create the labels for the specimen to expedite submission in the future.

Sarah Hill

she/her

Seeds of Success National Curator
Bureau of Land Management - contractor

Currently working from home - contact me for my cell #

Seeds of Success<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>

National Seed Strategy<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>

Plant Conservation Alliance<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy/pca>

Why I list my pronouns<https://pronouns.org/what-and-why>

I respectfully acknowledge that I live and work on the unceded ancestral, traditional and contemporary lands of the Nuwe/Nume (Paiute, Shoshone, Bannock) people who have stewarded this land throughout the generations.