[SOS-PCA] Final seedlot shipments to BSE for 2010 seed season

Nita Rauch nrauch at fs.fed.us
Thu Nov 4 11:46:17 CDT 2010

Dear BSE seed clients:

  It is November, and for the most part, seed collections in most of the
western US should be almost complete.

 As requested in the 2009 season, we again need to have all your seed
collections at the Bend Seed Extractory by December 10th (2010).   There
will be a few exceptions as we know a few species are better collected in
December (alder is just one for example).

Having a "bottomline" total of seed collections by mid-December will help
adjust our workforce through the holiday season and into the next CY.   We
started this season on July 5th and some of our workforce are on 6 month
appointments; which means they will be running out of days.   A bottomline
seedlot collection count  will really help me to know how many more days
will be needed to complete all these collections.

If you know you have a few species that won't meet this deadline; please
let me know so we can keep a log of seed lots to expect after the 10th and
approximate date(s) they would be shipped to us.

I apologize right now for anyone who is getting this message twice; I'm
trying to make use of all my mailing lists and not miss anyone.

Happy Thursday.   Nita  541-383-5646

Margaret_Haidet at blm.gov
Sent by: sos-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
11/03/2010 08:37 AM

sos at lists.plantconservation.org
cc

Subject
[SOS-PCA] Notes from 11.2.10 Collectors Call

Below are the notes from yesterdays call.  Feel free to contact me if you
have any questions.

SOS Collectors Call Notes
November 2, 2010

18 individuals and/or teams called in

Data sheet
-     Please use the most current form available on SOS website (
http://www.nps.gov/plants/sos/protocol/appendix2.htm)
-     This will be revised for next season ? please talk to your interns
and have them send me comments for improving the form

Clearance forms
-     We cannot return seed to you sooner than 30 days from the receipt of
the clearance form ? please build this into your planning schedules
-     Make sure the collectors are including a brief summary of NPMD uses
anticipated for the seed on the clearance form

Shipping
-     Bend: seed, data sheets, clearance forms
-     National office: data sheets, clearance forms, photos
-     Smithsonian: herbarium vouchers with labels, data sheets
      ** Megan will follow up with the Smithsonian to better understand
what they want to accompany the vouchers (i.e. labels, data sheets, etc)
-     Local herbaria: additional vouchers

Annual Reports
-     Please use template available for download on our website (
http://www.nps.gov/plants/sos/protocol/forms.htm)

Bend Seed Extractory
-     Has processed 2000 seed lots this season, 85-90% of which are SOS
collections
-     If you are waiting for seed to be returned and you haven?t received
it, please contact Nita Rauch
-     If you need seed returned to you in Nov. or Dec. please let Nita
know
so she can plan accordingly

The next Seeds of Success call will be on December 7th

Megan Haidet
National Collection Curator
Seeds of Success
Bureau of Land Management