[SOS-PCA] Herbarium specimen guidance

Margaret_Haidet at blm.gov Margaret_Haidet at blm.gov
Fri Nov 19 13:09:53 CST 2010

Happy Friday,

I wanted to give you a quick update on my meeting with the Smithsonian
Institution regarding preparation and documentation of herbarium specimens.
I had a productive meeting with them and as a result we will be putting
together a number of guidance materials to ensure the herbarium vouchers
for the Seeds of Success National Collection are strong, well documented
samples.  Were going to work on a better training element for the mentor
and intern training programs as well as articulate this guidance on the
website and listserve.

Highlights from the meeting are below.

SOS collectors need to do a better job making sure all plant samples are
well identified.  Tag plant, include data sheet, and include label BUT DO
NOT MOUNT.  We will be putting together more guidance on obtaining strong
samples and associated details about packing so they are not damaged.

Labels are critically important to maintaining accurate and strong
herbarium records. We don't have a standardized format for labels yet but I
will be working on a template, which will be made available for the 2011
collection season.

If you're wrapping up herbarium specimens to send to the SI from 2010,
please create a label including the elements below.

       Title: Seeds of Success
       Scientific name: genus, species, subspecies or variety
       Detailed location; including the following levels of location
       information
             Municipality, County, State
             GPS coordinates including datum
             to physically locate the plant(s) in order to obtain further
             research material. The location should consist of:  a
             description of the location in reference to roads, road
             junctions, mile markers and distances from cities and/or
             towns. Latitude and longitude, section, township and range,
             and elevation may also be helpful.
       Habitat: the type of plant community where the plant is growing and,
       if known, other plants growing in association
       Plant habit: describes the form of the plant (tree, shrub, vine,
       herb) and its height. Examples: tree, ca. 50 ft. tall. sprawling
       herb
       Plant description: describe characteristics of the plant which may
       be lost upon drying, such as flower/fruit color and fragrance, leaf
       orientation and aroma
       Collector code and office/institution name: the code and name of
       your institution or office
       Collector names: it is recommended that the collector be consistent
       and use their full first name, middle initial (or full name) and
       full last name.
       Determiner of the scientific name: the name of the person who
       identified the plant
       Collection reference number: the SOS number, which is a combination
       of the collector code and unique number given to that specific
       collection, i.e. AK930-11 or OR120-89
       Date of collection: a format with the month spelled out or
       abbreviated and 4 digit year, i.e. 16 Nov 2010

Additionally, please include an invoice or transmittal notice that
accompanies the box of vouchers so that SI has a record of the transaction.
This step is critical to have a record that all material was obtained
legally and responsibly.  If you are sending vouchers from a BLM office,
the letter should read “transfer of materials”.  If from non-governmental
entity it should read “gift of materials from . . .”  Attached is a sample
letter you may edit and send with your vouchers.  I have included a draft
letter - its brief and you may customize appropriately.

Feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Have a great weekend,
Megan

Megan Haidet
National Collection Curator
Seeds of Success
Bureau of Land Management
202-912-7233
www.nps.gov/plants/sos/

(See attached file: BLM herbarium voucher transmittal to SI.docx)(See
attached file: non-fed herbarium voucher transmittal to SI.docx)