[APWG] Annual weed management contests--what prize level would generate interest?

Craig Dremann craig at astreet.com
Wed Jun 16 19:05:56 CDT 2010

Dear All,

Near Santa Cruz California. a private land owner, Michael Shaw, has
been able to control every single weed, that covered the area 99%,
on 3.2 million square feet (32 hectares), and replaced all those
weeds with a 99% cover of over 100 species of local native plants,
which grew from seeds that were dormant in the soil, underneath the
weeds.  You can view a list of the weeds and the natives at http://
www.ecoseeds.com/shawlist.html

I believe that weed management around the USA and in other
countries,  would benefit greatly by annual weed contests with
substantial prizes--like a prize for whomever could convert a 50 acre
(20 hectares) weed patch, back to a 99% stable local native plant
cover without future maintenance--which should be the ultimate goal
for any non-riparian wild land weed management any way?

I imagine this contest like the golf PGA tour, with a substantial
prize at each site offered by a sponsor.

I have one vote so far, that a $25,000 prize would be adequate for a
contest here in California for a grassland/oak woodland habitat, and
I would be very interested in getting more votes, so that I can
approach potential sponsors.

So what prize amount would get every person on this mail list
interested in entering such a contest?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333 Box 609, Redwood City, CA 94064