[SOS-PCA] SOS Digital Data QC Guide and seed shipping reminders

Hill, Sarah E sehill at blm.gov
Fri Aug 23 11:58:26 CDT 2024

Hello,

Collection teams are in the thick of collecting, shipping, and reviewing collection data, and we wanted to send out a few reminders on proper shipping processes and new data QC guidance. We will be reviewing the data QC document and process in detail at the next collector call, so it is especially important that folks attend the call.

QC and digital data user guidance

Kristy and I created new resources for using digital data collection tools and will review these at the next collector call. The Digital Data QC guide walks you through what to look for and how to edit your collection and scouting data, and the Digital Data User Guide addresses common questions and basic information about the digital data tools. These documents are also available in the help documents in your geoplatform group.

We have also been looking through the data for the season and have noticed a few common errors - here are a few reminders:

  *
You do not need to run location calculations anymore. Kristy developed a method to run it for everyone weekly. Location calculation fields are updated every Friday.

  *
Please check the location of your scouting and rescouting points, and make sure you create your forms in the center of your population. There are many points that are populating at peoples houses and offices because they are not opening the digital forms in the field. If you are creating forms back at the office, consult the QC guide for information on how to fix your coordinates and mapped point correctly. Kristy has corrected some points that are off the coast of Africa that had coordinates in the lat/long fields, but some points did not have coordinates or a correct location.

Seed Shipping Reminders
A few collections have arrived at our cleaning facilities without proper documentation or without having an associated seed tracking form. Please remember the following:

BEFORE YOU SEND SEED

  *
Know which facility you are supposed to send seed to and if you need to notify them when sending seeds. When sending to Bend you do not need to give them a heads up. When sending to Dorena you DO need to let them know by emailing Bracken.Bing at usda.gov, and do not use USPS to ship. USPS has a hard time finding the right place to deliver the material.
  *
Review the forms you export from geoplatform, ensure the information is correct and that each collection has a data sheet in the box
  *
Double check that the collection numbers and species on the bags/boxes match the data forms and are correct. THERE SHOULD ONLY BE ONE COLLECTION PER COLLECTION NUMBER.
  *
Fill out a seed tracking form for each collection being submitted (essential for tracking our capacity at different seed cleaning facilities). If a collector is handing the seed off to someone else to ship, the collector should still be filling out the seed tracking form, or ensuring that the person the seed is being handed off to is.

Seed cleaning facility assignments:
We are still using the seed cleaning facility assignments from July, though they are subject to change so keep an eye out for updates

Palmer Plant Materials Center

  *
All Alaska collections

Dorena Genetics Resource Center - email bracken when shipping

  *
All NPS Crews (Crews with collector codes starting with 'NP') Except NPSD00 and NPNM00
  *
FWS0300
  *
FWS0202
  *
FWS0400
  *
FWS0401
  *
FWS0402
  *
FWS0403
  *
FWS0404

Bend Seed Extractory - No need to email to alert them of shipment.

  *
NPSD00 and NPNM00
  *
All DOI/interagency crews (collector codes starting with 'D')
  *
All BLM agency funded teams
  *
All other USFWS teams

For the seeds,

Sarah

Sarah Hill

she/her

Seeds of Success National Curator
Bureau of Land Management - contractor

Currently working from home - contact me for my cell #

Seeds of Success<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>

National Seed Strategy<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>

Plant Conservation Alliance<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy/pca>