[SOS-PCA] June 2023 Collector Call Notes

Hill, Sarah E sehill at blm.gov
Thu Jun 8 14:25:15 CDT 2023

Next collector call is moved from July 4th to July 11th. Please make a mental note of the change and enjoy the holiday!

General SOS – All Agencies and Crews

  *   Training has wrapped up for the season, but if you have late crew members who might need training, contact me and we can work something out.

     *   If you have attended a virtual training this year, and you have any feedback please let Sarah Hill know, including if there is additional training / information that would be helpful for you to do your job. The National Office is compiling ideas for resources and training for the future.

  *   Opportunistic collections

     *   Good spring rain has made a bumper crop in some places, if you want to do additional collections over your initial estimate, let Sarah Hill know ahead of time and she can see if we have the capacity to process them. Do not plan on adding these additional collections until the National Office (Sarah) has made sure there is room to clean these collections.

  *   Additional cleaning facility for 2023, Dorena Genetics Resources Center!

     *   We are working on the best way to organize which collections get cleaned where, so if you can let me know if you are planning on submitting a clearance form/requesting seed back from the cleaning facility, let Sarah Hill know.

  *   Check in before sending seed to Bend!

     *   Send an email to Sarah Hill and your agency SOS coordinator notifying the National Office BEFORE you send seeds to Bend. We are limited in the number of collections they can clean, and the National Office needs to keep track of collection numbers as they come in. Remember to only ship seeds early in the week.

GIS Announcements – Kristy Snyder

  *   Please remove your 3-2022 surveys from your device and download the 5-2023 surveys if you were a part of the digital data collection last year

  *   GPLAT questions – Having an issue with digital data collection? Here is who to ask (in order)

     *   Help documents

     *   Team Lead

     *   Supervisor

     *   SOS Agency Coordinator (BLM, Sarah Hill; FWS, Kelly Thomas; NPS, Katie Vinzant)

     *   PCRP GIS Analyst (Kristy Snyder)

  *   Please follow the full workflow> including running calculations, these are important for the curator to enter back into the long term database, BGBASE

  *   Locality descriptions for scouting/collecting-not an option, one of the most important fields on the datasheet. Remember to fill them out in detail before submitting forms.

  *   Don’t forget to enter the unique identifier at the end of the collection equation scouting ID, I recommend just keeping a running list of scouting populations if you are not scouting a lot

  *   Don’t make extra enters or tabs at the end of the free text fields – messes up the import! (Also true for people entering info in the data portal/collecting with paper)

     *   Most common in locality and field notes

  *   Let Kristy know of any glitches or suggested improvements to the digital data collection, we are always open to constructive feedback

Announcements from:

  *   Sarah Garvin / Bend

     *   Three new seasonals, so the staff is 7 processing technicians, full time throughout the season!

     *   Let them know if you are sending fleshy fruit, and send it overnight ASAP and notify Bend of the incoming collection.

  *   Erika / Smithsonian

     *   Follow shipping instructions on the SOS BLM website, please do not deviate from the procedures.

     *   Always include the label and notice of transmittal

        *   They have been receiving smaller labels than are in the template. Please use the template.

  *   Bailey / USDA-ARS, GRIN-Global

     *   Have two students who are going to be helping her this season.

     *   The SOS photos are great! They are being included with GRIN-Global records, so keep up the good work taking wonderful photos.

Happy Collecting, see you all in July!

Sarah Hill

she/her

Seeds of Success National Curator
Bureau of Land Management - contractor

Currently working from home - contact me for my cell #

Seeds of Success<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>

National Seed Strategy<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>

Plant Conservation Alliance<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy/pca>

Why I list my pronouns<https://pronouns.org/what-and-why>

I respectfully acknowledge that I live and work on the unceded ancestral, traditional and contemporary lands of the Nuwe/Nume (Paiute, Shoshone, Bannock) people who have stewarded this land throughout the generations.