[SOS-PCA] May 14, World Species Congress, Free registration

Hill, Sarah E sehill at blm.gov
Fri May 10 13:25:08 CDT 2024

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share a neat opportunity to participate in the first World Species Congress hosted by the IUCN. https://www.iucn.org/events/iucn-event/first-world-species-congress

The World Species Congress is a fully virtual event focused on successful strategies to reverse declines and recover species; plant, fungi, and animals. There will be more than 200 presenters from over 50 countries and registered participants from over 150 countries. There will be government speakers, scientists, innovators, and indigenous peoples organizations sharing their work to Reverse the Red. The event will begin at 10:00 am in New Zealand and circle the globe with amazing success stories and strategies. To learn more and register for the event use the link below. There is no fee for registration.

BLM's Plant Conservation and Restoration Program Lead, Peggy Olwell, will be participating in a panel discussion as part of a 24-hour World Species Congress. The panel is titled: Global Species Action Plan 4.5 - Maintaining Genetic Variability as an essential strategic action to reversing declines and recovering species. She will be sharing her knowledge on establishing a national strategy and partnerships aimed at species conservation/genetic diversity and habitat restoration. Peggy's panel will be at 5 pm MST on May 14.

Please share this opportunity with anyone who may be interested!

For the seeds,

Sarah

Sarah Hill

she/her

Seeds of Success National Curator
Bureau of Land Management - contractor

Currently working from home - contact me for my cell #

Seeds of Success<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>

National Seed Strategy<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>

Plant Conservation Alliance<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy/pca>

Why I list my pronouns<https://pronouns.org/what-and-why>

I respectfully acknowledge that I live and work on the unceded ancestral, traditional and contemporary lands of the Nuwe/Nume (Paiute, Shoshone, Bannock) people, as well as other indigenous tribes who traveled through the area known as Idaho who have stewarded this land throughout the generations.