[SOS-PCA] October 2022 Call Notes

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Tue Oct 4 15:13:39 CDT 2022

Hi everyone,

Happy October! Below are the notes from our call this morning.

  *   End of Season Reminders
  *
     *   All annual reports, photos, and data forms are due to me by December 15th. If you have any questions, please email me or reference the guidance documents on the SOS website. The most common data error I see is in the is not utilizing the first "Date Collected" field before jumping to the "Date Range" (free text) box. Please use the first two date fields before the date range box. Also, if you were unable to collect herbarium vouchers for any reason, please make a note of that in the "Herbaria receiving the specimens" field.
     *   Herbarium vouchers should also be shipped to Smithsonian by December 15th. Please make sure you are filling out the information on the herbarium labels completely, especially collector names. Follow the instructions on the website and you will be golden!
     *   Requesting seed back - There are two ways to request seed back. If you would like this year's seed returned before May 2023, please fill out a clearance form and, ideally, send it to me as soon as you've shipped your seeds to Bend, or before January 30th, 2023. That way, they know to move those seeds up in their queue. If you would like this year's seeds returned AFTER May 31, 2023, or if you would like to request any older seed lots, please use a Seed Order Form. Both forms are available on the SOS website and you should email the completed form to me, and I will then send it to Bend. Sarah recommended getting these forms in ASAP!

     *
  *   Shipping
  *
     *   Kayla has officially left the Extractory so for any questions about seed orders or shipping, please email the general Bend address: SM.FS.BSEOrders at usda.gov. If you have specific questions about the status of your seeds or seed tips/tricks, email Sarah Garvin: sarah.garvin at usda.gov
     *   Following up on our September collector call, Bend has set the limit for collections they can accept from us this year at 500. Based on mid-season updated totals, I estimate that we will go over that, so we have made alternate arrangements for any collections that Bend cannot accept. So, once Bend tells me they've reached capacity, I will be asking folks to then send any remaining SOS collections to the National Lab for Genetic Resource Preservation at Fort Collins, Colorado who has agreed to hold onto the seeds until Bend can hire more staff next year. A few notes on this:
        *   1) Once you have sent in your target number of collections to Bend, please let me know, and please hold onto any additional collections. If we do not hit 500 collections, then you will be able to send those additional collections to Bend, but please do not do so until I give you the go ahead.
        *   2) Please do not send seed to Fort Collins until I tell you! We will keep sending seeds to Bend until they are full.
        *   3) The process for packing, shipping, and labeling will remain the same; the only thing that will change is the address you ship to. All the collections should still be entered into the web portal and have all the same documentation, etc.
        *   4) Just like we do with Bend, I will have you email me and our contact at Fort Collins with your shipping information, including number of collections so that we have a record of what is being sent/stored there.
        *   5) Please do send late season sagebrush seed collections to Bend! Sagebrush seeds are the exception, and I will have you send those to Bend rather than Fort Collins so that they can be cleaned more quickly. This might mean that I ask you to hold onto some of your more hardy seeds or send them to Fort Collins so that we can make sure there is room for the sagebrush at Bend. Again, please just stay in communication with me about your anticipated collections.
        *   6) 2023 Collections - a few folks on the call are planning on collecting in early 2023. This is totally fine, but you will still need to either hold onto your collections or ship them to Fort Collins depending on what the situation at Bend is like. If you are one of these crews, please let me know so that I can stay in contact with you about the best place to send your seeds.
  *

Thanks,
Anna

Anna Lindquist

(she/her/hers)

Seeds of Success National Curator & Botanical Communications Manager

Bureau of Land Management - Contractor

Currently working from home - contact me for my cell #