[SOS-PCA] August 2022 Call Notes

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Thu Aug 11 10:56:05 CDT 2022

Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone who joined the call on August 2nd.
Call notes are below:

  *   Welcome new PCPR HQ staff!
     *   Kristy Snyder is our new BLM Plant Conservation and Restoration Program GIS Analyst. She will doing all things GIS for the program, including some SOS work. However, that is only part of her job, so just like we emphasized in training, if you have any SOS GIS/AGOL/Geoplatform related questions that your crew lead can't answer, please send those to me (Anna) first.
     *   We are also hiring for a new Botanical Outreach and Communications Manager with PCRP HQ, so please spread the word if you know of anyone who would be a good fit. Feel free to reach out to me with questions.
     *
  *   End of Season Checklist
     *   We went over the end of season checklist which is available on the SOS website.
        *   For crews piloting the digital data collection workflow, the only difference is that you do not need to enter your data into the SOS web portal. You do, however, need to be checking your data in GeoPlatform. For all crews, I recommend exporting your data to check for errors.
        *   Additionally, for digital data collection pilot crews, please check your data forms that you are sending to Bend. We are working on fixing a glitch with the date fields, so be sure to give those a once over. Crews should always send their data to Bend using the standard SOS data form.
        *
  *   Bend Updates
     *   Thank you for the good communication with Bend! Emails in between your first and last seed shipments are not super necessary unless it is a fleshy fruit, in which case, definitely let Bend know that is on the way. Sending Kayla and email when you have sent your very last shipment for the season is great, because then they can start packaging things up to be sent to long-term storage.
     *   No pest strips - You must use no-pest strips before you ship seeds to Bend! The no-pest strips are to protect Bend staff from itch mites that are commonly found in grasslands.
     *   There was discussion on the call about mail delays and even instances of overnight shipping not actually being overnight. Please be aware of this as you ship your seeds to Bend. Monday and Tuesday are the best days to ship.
     *
  *   Opportunistic Collections
     *   Opportunistic collections are collections that you may not originally had on your target list at the beginning of the season. If your target species collections are what is on your grocery list, then opportunistic collections are the candy in the checkout line that you weren't planning on getting. They are great, and may be necessary to meet your collection goals, but just like other SOS collections it is important to make sure they are needed and wanted. While we aim to preserve as much genetic material from as many different plant populations as possible, we also want to be strategic. So, if you come across a population that was not originally on your target species list, or even if it was, but you've already met your target of that species for the season, please check with your crew lead, BLM botanist, technical point of contact, etc. to see if it is something that is a priority for collection. This is for many reasons, but the big one is that Bend plans their staffing needs for the season based on the Target Species list crews send in at the beginning of the year. They are past the point of being able to hire new folks, so if you are going to be making more collections than you originally anticipated, please let me know asap if you didn't already on the call.

Our next call is going to be moved to the second Tuesday in September, September 13th.

Thanks,
Anna

Anna Lindquist

(she/her/hers)

Seeds of Success National Curator

Bureau of Land Management - Contractor

Currently working from home - contact me for my cell #

Seeds of Success<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>

National Seed Strategy<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>

Plant Conservation Allianc​e<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy/pca>

Request SOS seeds for research<https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/search>