[SOS-PCA] December 2021 Call Notes

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Tue Dec 7 18:52:30 CST 2021

Hi folks,

Thanks to everyone who joined us for the last call of 2021 and for sharing some lessons learned.
Despite a drought and pandemic, there was still much to learn, and collectively there were over 350 collections made!

There will be no call in January, but please reach out if you have any questions, or think of any other takeaways, tips, tricks, or success stories from 2021.

Here are the notes from today's call (in order of importance; sorry in advance for all the exclamation points, but these things are important)-

- SEND YOUR SEEDS TO BEND ASAP!!! I believe there are approximately 25 collections that have been entered into the SOS data portal, but are not at Bend. So, if you have not sent those in yet, please do so immediately. Bend will be staffed every weekday except for Christmas and New Year's day. If you are still collecting seeds and were NOT on the call today, please email Anna and Kayla ASAP. Thank you to everyone who has already mailed your seeds, and to those who labeled and sealed their collections well.

- Please seal your seeds well when you mail them. Kayla said many of the most recent shipments had seeds leaking, which is heartbreaking. Bend does not have the time to sort through and separate all the leaking seed at the bottom of the box, so please tape, up those tops, corners, and any other weak points in your bags! Remember - shake test!!

- Please read the "Guide to Herbarium Specimens for SOS" on the blm.gov/sos<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection> website when shipping vouchers to the Smithsonian and follow it exactly! Smithsonian wrote this document just for us because this is the way they need specimens shipped to them. Some recent common mistakes that Smithsonian has noticed - bundles not being secured with string; missing collection numbers on the labels; missing transmittal notices; non-SOS collections (which you should generally NOT be sending to Smithsonian) not having the proper transmittal notice; jagged, sloppy edges on labels. I know we haven't been able to do in-person trainings in two years now, so it is even more important that you reference the guidance documents when preparing vouchers. Remember, your vouchers are going to the Smithsonian, and you should be able to take pride in that.

- If you have not already mailed your vouchers to Smithsonian, please wait until January 1st when staff will return and be able to receive and process them. If you have to get them out now because you are leaving, that is fine, but if possible, please hold onto them until 2022.

- All end of year documentation and data are due to me by December 15th. If you have any questions please ask! I am always available for calls, emails, or Team's messages.

- Trainings for next season will take place virtually the week of February 7th and the week of May 9th (exact dates TBD, but plan on 2 days). These will be invite only. I will be extending invitations to folks I know will be collecting next season, so if you do not hear from me, and this applies to you, please let me know sooner rather than later. Our official (and hopefully in-person, although that is still TBD as well) BLM National Training Center training will take place April 19th-21st and be in Boise, Idaho (if it is in-person). I will let you all know more details about the trainings as they come together.

- At the end of the call I reviewed the upcoming SOS Technical Protocol changes. These changes will take effect in 2022, and do not affect 2021 collections. The update will be published on the SOS website before the end of the year.

Thanks again to everyone who worked so hard to make this season a success, thanks to our many partners in this endeavor, and thanks to the plants and the seeds for teaching us patience.
Congratulations on reaching the end of this very long email!!
I hope you all have a restful holiday season.

Cheers!
Anna

Anna Lindquist

Seeds of Success National Curator