[SOS-PCA] April Collector Call, Tuesday, April 6th

Lindquist, Anna E alindquist at blm.gov
Thu Apr 1 10:23:10 CDT 2021

Hi everyone,

Happy April!
Our next SOS collectors call will be on Tuesday, April 6th. This is a Microsoft Teams call for all active collectors, mentors, and partners; if you are one of these, but did not receive the new invitation for 2021, please let me know.

Monthly calls are always the first Tuesday of the month at the following time:

8 AM Alaska
9 AM Pacific
10 AM Mountain
11 AM Central
Noon Eastern

A couple reminders -
Target Species Lists! These are due to me by April 30th, please. These are really helpful to both me and Bend to get a sense of which species we will be working with this season. The template for the lists is available on the website - blm.gov/sos

Also, registration for the 2021 SOS Training - Seed Collecting for Conservation and Restoration - through the National Training Center is still open. The course is two days, Thursday, April 29th from 9 am - 1pm MT and Friday, April 30th from 9 am - 3 pm MT. This 10-hour virtual course is aimed at active collectors, mentors, and partners, but is open to other federal and non-federal partners. If you are a DOI employee, you can find the course on DOI Talent. If you are not a DOI employee, please email me for further instructions.

*NOTE ABOUT THE ONLINE TRAINING* – We are excited to offer the first virtual Seeds of Success (SOS) training this year for our partners collecting under the SOS protocol, and to extend this offering to individuals wishing to learn more about our program.

While we have done our best to transfer everything that is typically covered during an in-person SOS training to an online format, by its nature, this virtual training cannot fully capture all the nuances required for accurate and ethical data and seed collection in the field. Partners and contractors are encouraged to seek further guidance from their regional and local SOS mentors about how best to transfer the knowledge they gain during the national training to their specific field variables.

Additionally, if you are not currently an SOS partner or contractor, we welcome your attendance and hope you gain valuable knowledge about seed collection, plant conservation, and how this model could be applied within your own organization. However, attendance at this training should not be taken as entering into partnership with SOS as we are not currently able to accept new partners. To discuss future collaborative opportunities, please reach out to Anna Lindquist, SOS National Curator, alindquist at blm.gov

Thanks,
Anna

Anna Lindquist

Seeds of Success National Curator