[SOS-PCA] When is Poa secunda ripe?

Sarah De Groot sdegroot at rsabg.org
Mon May 11 10:19:45 CDT 2020

Hi Seed Collectors,

Can anyone offer advice on how to tell when Poa secunda seed is ready to
collect? I assume that if the inflorescence is falling apart that it's
probably dispersing and therefore ready, but can it be picked any earlier
than that? Does it after-ripen at all? Should I be stripping inflorescences
in the field or taking whole ones? I was guessing Bend would want them
stripped, but does that affect ripening?

Thanks for any information you have!

Sarah De Groot, Ph.D
Field Botanist, Seeds of Success Coordinator (CA930A), GIS Technician,
and Research
Associate
Plant Conservation Department
California Botanic Garden/Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden (RSA-POM
herbarium)
Claremont, California, USA
*www.calbg.org <http://www.rsabg.org>*
sdegroot[AT]rsabg.org or sdegroot[AT]calbg.org
***Please pardon delayed replies; I might be in the field***