[SOS-PCA] SOS Collectors Call June 4th & May notes

Prescott, Leah lprescott at blm.gov
Fri May 31 13:27:43 CDT 2019

Hi all,

Friendly reminder that the next SOS Collectors call is Tuesday, June 4th.
These monthly calls are required for all seed collecting teams. Let me know
if you need the call in information.

Please submit your target species list if you have not already, these were
due in April. We have a new template on the website, BLM.gov/SOS

Draft Agenda:

Roll call
General collection rules
Collection Strategy and post collection care
Round Robin/Updates - please come prepared with how your season is going,
estimated number of collections, and number of seed collectors and
institution (if you have not already provided these updates)

If you do not have a 2019 portal log in please contact me.

Just as a reminder, the calls take place at:

8 AM Alaska
9 AM Pacific
10 AM Mountain
11 AM Central
Noon Eastern

Please contact me if you need the call in number.

Below are notes from our May call:

·       NEW on website: Bend Collecting Recommendations. Quality
collections means higher quantity seed after processing! Outlines the best
methods for several species (Great Basin Target Species)

o   The best method for collection is to hand strip the seed from the plant.

o   The more plant material that is collected the higher the susceptibility
for damage to the seed, presence of non-target seed, decreased overall
purity, decrease in yield, and increased processing cost.

·       Don’t forget, the Yield tool is on the website! The folks at Bend
put together a fantastic handout now under the “Guides and Handouts”
section of the website. It will help your team determine how much raw
material is need to meet pure live seed targets. It also gives great
example calculations. If you would like to see any species added, please
let Leah know.

Bend: Please remember to ship on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday to avoid
collections sitting in a warehouse over the weekend. Please include
datasheets and contact information for someone on your team. Research shows
that the conditions seeds are kept in prior to cleaning have significant
impacts on seed storage and longevity. Remember to keep your seed in a
cool, dry location and ship as soon as possible (but after proper drying
and pest strip application).

·       *If you need to change the name of the species you collected AND
the seed has already been shipped to Bend or another facility, you MUST
notify the National Office* so the appropriate nomenclature changes can be
made across all institutions holding SOS seed.

·       Smithsonian – Erika gave a great overview of how to make and ship
quality herbarium vouchers. Notes have been sent over the listserv, I will
send again as a separate email. Don’t forget to include a transmittal form,
your voucher specimen should fit on a standard herbarium sheet (11x16), you
need to include labels, but nothing should be glued, stapled, or attached
in any way.

·       Everyone is encouraged to send Leah SOS “success stories” for past
collections! Include the SOS collection number(s), a description or “story”
of how the seed was used (i.e. for a common garden study, grow out/habitat
restoration project, seed increase, etc.), any geospatial data for the site
of deployment (i.e. coordinates for out planting site, common garden site,
etc.), and pictures. More information is always welcome. Please let me know
if you have any questions.

Thank you!
Leah

--
Leah Prescott
Seeds of Success

Seeds of Success
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>
National Seed Strategy for Rehabilitation and Restoration
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>
Plant Conservation Alliance <http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/>