[SOS-PCA] September SOS Collectors Call Notes

Prescott, Leah lprescott at blm.gov
Wed Sep 5 08:11:15 CDT 2018

Hi all,

Thanks for everyone who called in yesterday, we had 13 offices call in.
Thank you to everyone that has been sending me updates on your collections
& a sample data sheet for review - this really helps on our end.

September SOS call notes:

   - If there are any updates to species identifications please send Leah (
   lprescott at blm.gov) an email ASAP. Its best to catch this before seed
   goes into bend or long-term storage but we know that is not always
   possible.
   - Please send clearance forms to Leah for any collections you would like
   sent to your office or a partner. Please consolidate your clearance forms
   as much as possible. If you know you need 5 collections returned on the
   same date, please only use one clearance form for these.
   - Annual Reporting: you guys have been doing a great job of sending me
   your datasheets, photos, and other records in an organized way. Google
   drive is ideal, but emails, or dropbox also work.
   - *All data forms, photos, and annual reports are due to Leah by Dec.
   15, materials sent in early are always appreciated. Please keep this in
   mind when planning your schedules.*
   - If for some reason you cannot meet that deadline, please let Leah
   know.
   - Please ensure all SOS records including datasheets, photos and other
   files are saved electronically at your office.
   - The SOS annual report template is available on the website.
   - Please submit any extra photos of people collecting, or new collection
   techniques you may have tried. These will be used for reports and new
   training materials.
   - *Data entry via the portal is also due by Dec. 15th.*
   - There are currently 147 collections entered into the portal yet we are
   expecting ~620 collections this year. Please make sure you are working this
   into your schedule. If you cannot meet the deadline, please let Leah know.
   - Please export your data once you are finished entering it to look for
   any errors or fields you may have forgotten to fill out.
   - The National Coordinating Office is not collecting filing permissions
   for collections not made on BLM land. Please file these in a known location
   at your local office.

*Bend:*

   - Although Bend is fully staffed this year we are still setting a soft
   deadline of November 1st for shipping seed. Bend will still accept seed
   after this date, but please try to get your seed shipped sooner than later.
   - *Please notify bend before sending any shipments weighing 20 lbs. or
   more. *These large collections will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
   - *Please notify Bend once you are finished sending collections for the
   season. *They may be able to get your season report back to you sooner.
   - Please check your accession numbers before sending seed to Bend.

*Smithsonian:*

   - Reminder to send all unmounted herbarium specimens to Erika at the
   Smithsonian. Please include an herbarium label for each collection and a
   transmittal notice for the entire shipment. You *do not* need to include
   data forms. If you have any questions please contact Erika Gardner (
   gardnere at si.edu).
   - Follow the shipping instructions outlined on SOS website so that
   specimens are not damaged during transport.

The next call will be Tuesday, October 2nd at 12:00PM eastern. Please email
me (lprescott at blm.gov) if you need the call in number.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks!

--
Leah Prescott
Bureau of Land Management

National Seed Strategy for Rehabilitation and Restoration
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>
Plant Conservation Alliance <http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/>
Seeds of Success
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>