[SOS-PCA] SOS November Call Notes

Prescott, Leah lprescott at blm.gov
Wed Nov 7 11:15:51 CST 2018

Hi all,

As the season comes to an end I'd like to thank everyone for their hard
work and communication throughout the year. Please let me know if you have
any questions or concerns and *be sure to have all of your data and forms
in by December 15th.*

* General Announcements:*

DATA ENTRY-– approximately 580 records are now in the database! Please
remember to export review your data after it has been entered to catch any
mistakes or missing information.

ANNUAL REPORTS– I am missing a fair amount of annual reports & have
contacted several teams. Please get these in by December 15th. The template
is available on the SOS website
<https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/documents/files/Seeds%20of%20Success%20Annual%20Report%20Template_April2018.doc>.
If your office is making seed collections that will NOT be submitted to the
SOS program, please include these under the ‘internal research’ section. If
your office experienced fires or drought that affected your target
collections please indicate this on the annual report. This information is
very helpful.

END OF YEAR MATERIALS- (annual report, datasheets, photos) are due to the
National Coordinating Office **by Dec. 15th**. Sending materials to Leah in
a GoogleDrive folder or via email attachments is best.

PHOTOS-There should be three photos per collection (plant, habitat and
seed). Photos should be labeled as “SPECIESCODE_SOS Reference Number_A B or
C”.  (i.e. HAVI4_WO220-1_A).  Photos provide a snapshot of what the
collection site looked like at the time of collection. If you are missing a
few photos, please just let Leah know.

SOS TRAINING – The DOI Learn course “Seed Collection for Conservation and
Restoration (Seeds of Success 1730-06)” is scheduled for May 14-16, 2019 in
Boise, Idaho. If you are a mentor who has not been to the training or have
not been in a few years, please consider signing up for the course.

CLEARANCE FORMS – If you would like the remaining balance from any of your
collections to be returned to your office or a partner for plant materials
projects, please submit a clearance form to Leah by **January 30th*.*

* Bend Announcements:*

Bend has only received 490 collections so far, please send your seed in and
notify Bend and Leah when you have sent your final collection in.

Please do not ship seed the week of Thanksgiving if possible. *You may ship
seed the weeks either before or after Thanksgiving (Nov 13-16th or after
the 26th).* Bend is still open the week of Thanksgiving but we strongly
encourage waiting to ship seed until after the 26th.

* Smithsonian Announcements:*

*There will be a shipping moratorium beginning November 22nd and ending on
January 3rd.* Please ship vouchers either before or after these dates.

There has been some issues regarding vouchers with paint on them. Please
follow the protocol online
<https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/programs_natural-resources_native-plant-communities_native-seed-development_collection_Herbarium%20Tutorial.pdf>
as it describes how to ship vouchers and labels.

Thanks!
Leah

--
Leah Prescott
Bureau of Land Management

National Seed Strategy for Rehabilitation and Restoration
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>
Plant Conservation Alliance <http://www.plantconservationalliance.org/>
Seeds of Success
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/native-plant-and-seed-material-development/collection>