[SOS-PCA] Fwd: Looking for information on germinating and growing Muhlenbergia montana (Mountain Muhly)

Haidet, Margaret (Megan) mahaidet at blm.gov
Tue May 10 08:27:06 CDT 2016

I am a volunteer with Wildlands Restoration Volunteers (WRV), a non-profit
in Boulder, Colorado, that is dedicated to the restoration of damaged wild
lands. For several years we have collected native seed for various local
and state agencies, like Denver Mountain Parks, who then grow it out in
their greenhouses.

This year we are trying to germinate and grow out some grasses on our own,
and *I have been trying to find information specifically about Muhlenbergia
montana*, a species that is apparently difficult for the government
agencies to work with and too expensive for them to purchase the seeds from
commercial dealers. *I would really appreciate it if you could give me any
information, such as research articles or nursery techniques and so forth,
that you may know of regarding germinating and growing this valuable but
apparently little studied bunchgrass species. We could also use field
techniques for collecting and preserving the seeds.*

I have not been able to find any information online about germinating
Mountain Muhly specifically, so any information you have, even general
observations of techniques for germinating similar bunch grasses, would be
much appreciated. And if you know of someone else that I should be
directing this question to, or someone who is an expert regarding Mountain
Muhly, please feel free to forward this request to them or suggest to me
who would be a better source for me to contact.

Thanks very much for your time,

John Dawson
johnc_dawson at comcast.net