[SOS-PCA] Silica gel and indicator strips for seed storage, could double or triple seed longevity

craig at astreet.com craig at astreet.com
Thu May 21 20:52:57 CDT 2015

Dear Scott and All,

I have been using the cobalt blue silica gel beads in bulk for years that
I buy by the pound.

 I buy a box of 28 weight #6 coin envelopes for the larger bags or #4 coin
envelopes for the medium sized bags and #1 or #3 coins for the very small
bags. Stationary stores usually sell these coin envelopes in bundles of
25, so you can get a few sizes and see which works best.

Fill the manilla coin envelopes 3/4 full and paper clip the ends with
paper clips, DO NOT SEAL.  Then when you put them in the oven, you unclip
the paper clips and open the ends, and put them all on a cookie tray at
250 deg. until the beads turn deep blue again, which takes 2-3 hours, and
keep the room ventilated because of the cobalt.

The EU is suggesting not using the cobalt blue any more, and are subing a
new orange indicator, which I have not used yet, but you can see at
http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Orange-Indicating-Desiccant-Replacement/dp/B00BXJ52GO.

Also on that Amazon page at the bottom are some muslin bags for sale,
which would work well for the gel, but might be much more expensive than
the manilla coin envelopes.

Do not forget to get one Uline moisture strip for each stored package,
because they immediately tell you when you gel is saturated and needs
drying again.   I call the moisture strips and the indicator silica gel
Seed-Viability Insurance--if you are going to take the time to harvest and
store seeds, these two items insure that they will remain viable for a
while and protect your investment.

If the SOS project is not using the strips plus the indicator silica gel
already, an investment in those two items could double or triple your seed
longevity with very little cost.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333