[SOS-PCA] Any suggestions for seed storage freezer?

Ed Guerrant guerran at pdx.edu
Tue May 19 16:24:54 CDT 2015

Hi All (and I apologize to all who have gotten multiple posts from me on
this topic - I have two email address variants at PSU and SOS didn't
recognize the one from which my email is apparently sent.)

Anyway,  I agree with Margaret and Pati that upright freezers are more
convenient, but I prefer and we use chest freezers because a lot of cold
air falls out each time an upright is opened.  We had for many years at the
Berry Botanic Garden used standard off the shelf, NON frost free, Sears
(Kenmore, 22 cubit feet) freezers, and got new ones to use here at PSU.  We
have never had any trouble with them .  It is my understanding that the
frost free feature results from the interior walls being heated
occasionally, which just causes the temperature to fluctuate more than
necessary.

As for Margaret's commenting about Michael Wall's shelving at Rancho Santa
Ana BG in their chest freezers.  I've seen them, and they are essentially
custom made roller shelves so you don't have to lift out a bunch of stuff
to get at what you want . It seemed to work wonderfully.  The only downside
I recall is that you need to leave empty space in the middle to accommodate
the shelving, which reduces the volume available to use for storing seeds.
It may be, too, that the rollers or sliding mechanism might freeze up,
literally and figuratively.  I don't know if that happens, maybe Evan can
let us know.

Take care,

Ed

--
Ed Guerrant Ph.D.
Director, Rae Selling Berry Seed Bank & Plant Conservation Program

Office / Seed Laboratory
Science Research & Teaching Center (SRTC), Basement level 1 (B1) Room 81

Delivery address
Science Research & Teaching Center, Room 218,1719 SW 10th Ave, Portland, OR
97201

tel 503 725-2456, fax 503 725-9040 web page www.seedbank.pdx.edu