[SOS-PCA] Increase Facilites

STEECK Diane M Diane.M.Steeck at ci.eugene.or.us
Tue Mar 3 16:33:20 CST 2015

Hi Jessa,
What size are your beds?  < 0.1 acre, 0.1-1 acre, or 1-acre and larger fields?
For smaller raised beds, plan with predator (ground squirrels, voles, gophers) preventive options in mind:  raised beds with hardware cloth barrier installed underneath and potential for hoop houses over.  In western OR we find predators increase in density after the first few years – particularly going after our geophytes.

We contract for our growers to grow many annuals or short-lived perennials on ground-cloth in 0.05  - 0.2 acre beds.  Groundcloth reduces the weed control needs, catches seeds (they are swept or shop-vac’ed up), but can provide hiding areas for voles and ground squirrels.   For light-seeded species, wind barriers (silt fence) are needed so the seed can’t blow off the cloth.

This article is focused on the western OR, but may have some tips – the grower is very skilled:
http://www.heritageseedlings.com/shop/wpimages/native-plant-journal-article-2008-.pdf

Good luck with it.
Diane

Diane Steeck, Wetland Ecologist