[SOS-PCA] SOS Call Notes: May 7th

Haidet, Margaret mahaidet at blm.gov
Thu May 9 10:04:07 CDT 2013

May 7, 2013

SOS Monthly Collectors Call

There were 36 participants on the SOS call.

All new collectors should become familiar with the SOS Protocol.  This
includes interns and any contractors that are hired out of a BLM office.

Planning for 2013 collections -

*** Please send targeted species lists to National Coordinating Office by
May 31 – These priorities are set on the office, state and ecoregional
level.

*** Please also send your estimated total collections for the 2013 season
to the National Coordinating Office – These numbers are critical in helping
us plan for processing and storage requirements.

SOS Resources:

Website (http://www.nps.gov/plants/sos/) including how to guides, Protocol.

                We know the search function is down.  It will be replaced
rather than repaired.

 National Coordinating Office – mahaidet at blm.gov, 202-912-7233

Listserve – all collectors are encouraged to join the listserve so they may
stay informed with SOS announcements and collectors’ calls.

Data – SOS is working with BGBase to develop an online data entry portal,
hopefully this will be completed by June.  We will do a webinar training to
get SOS partners logged in and familiarized with the system.

-          Need to determine if we will be able to generate herbarium labels

Bend Update:

-          Nita Rauch recognized for outstanding partnering and customer
service at the National Native Seed Conference with the BLM Plant
Conservation Program Award.

-          Seed leaning crew will be back on June 3rd.

-          As cleaning is completed for all units and pls is determined the
information will be sent to the National SOS Office and distributed.

-          Bend has cleaned 2051 different species for SOS, more than 2300
species from all of the Federal Agencies.  SOS had helped advance their
understanding of

SOS Seed Collection for Conservation and Restoration – Boise, ID May 14-17.

Next Call: June 4th, 2013

Megan Haidet
Seeds of Success
National Collection Curator