[RWG] Allelopathy knowledge can save time when weeding+restoringareas

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Sep 2 19:09:59 CDT 2011

All:

If I understand Dremann correctly, he does not know "the id of the active herbicide chemicals in the plants," but if this is true, how does on "measure the chemical effects of one plant against another?"

I don't mind guesswork; I've done it all my life, but I like a reasonably sound theoretical foundation under my feet before I make big claims. I'm not shy about going beyond the data either. I even like metaphor, simile, analogy, etc., but most of all I enjoy irony--hell, one has to in this world full of lies. "The roughest guess that gets the job done" is my motto. But none of those things, in my view, interferes with intellectual integrity, science, or scholarship--as long as the gaps are acknowledged.

WT

'The Polish poet Wislawa Szymborska has written ".the little phrase 'I don't know' is small, but it flies on mighty wings. It expands our lives to include spaces within us as well as the outer expanses in which our tiny earth hangs suspended."' http://www.pplp.org/Poetry%20Series/Tellmewhat.htm; http://gos.sbc.edu/s/szymborska.html