[RWG] FW: [APWG] Allelopathy knowledge can save time when weeding+restoring areas

Maze, Dominic Dominic.Maze at portlandoregon.gov
Fri Sep 2 15:38:09 CDT 2011

Hello all,

    All of this discussion reminds me of both Richard Halsey's paper from 2004, (Jour. of Torrey... 131(4))and my undergraduate plant ecology course at UCSC discussing the classic false correlations attributed to allelopathy in Cal. coastal scrublands by, I think, Muller.  As I remember it, there was less growth and recruitment of forbs and grasses under certain shrubs. Must be allelopathy, right? However, those certain shrubs also provided preferred habitat for certain herbivores that like to eat those forbs/grasses and didn't want to get eaten, themselves, by hawks and other predators.

   Having lived and worked in restoration in Central Cal., coastal prairie, oak, shrub, etc., for over a decade before moving to Oregon (and being intimately familiar with Arastradero Preserve area, Los Gatos and Aptos, to boot), I am certainly familiar with the difficulty in "restoring" grasslands.  Beyond the hard to believe (not to say, not true) claims about 99.5% native cover on one or two properties in Aptos or Los Gatos, I have heard nothing about a real experimental design: data collection, replication, etc.; just a case study of a presumably massive input of resources into one or two persons' properties who have the resources at their disposal to pull this off (hey, we're talking Los Gatos and Aptos, here).  If that is the scenario that is responsible for 99%+ native cover and an unknown Gnaphalium sp. reappearing (which I'd like to know more about, as well), then yes, I would love to see these efforts replicated across all Western grasslands!

    I have heard analogies about antibiotics and poker to support broad claims and anecdotal evidence, including ex situ pictures and as far as I can tell an arbitrary ranking system of plant "power", to "prove" effective use of assumed allelochemicals to potentially restore grasslands.  Does a layer of Nasella straw inhibit weed germination and growth?  Does a layer of bark mulch? Packing peanuts?  As Wayne Tyson points out, he doesn't just assume any factor is responsible for that first successful restoration of his.  Did it look like allelopathy?  Yeah, it did!  Was it allelopathy?  No one will ever know.

     I believe that "chemical warfare" between plants is proven in some interactions and feasible in most; heck, it is obvious many plants use chemicals to not get demolished by higher trophic levels (and basic tenets of plant pathology and classical biological control support this).  But if I am to receive sensational (and admittedly, intriguing) claim after claim in my inbox about restoration using, as far as I can see, either concerted multi-year efforts on one property or expensive restoration protocols involving native straw, etc., then I'd like to see some scientific methodologies discussed and real proof. I have always been suspicious of "recipe" restoration ("if we could just burn the prairies like the Indians did, it'll all come back!").  Heck, maybe my own past difficulties (and hard-won successes) in restoration make me bitter and less likely to believe others' seemingly easily won successes; but as Tom Cruise said in that awful and otherwise forgettable movie, "Show me the money!"  That said, keep up the good work, everyone out there trying to answer these questions attempting to conserve and restore what we have left.  I'll take any answer off the air.

Sincerely,

Dominic Maze