[RWG] Allelopathy knowledge can save a lot of time when weeding+restoring areas

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Sep 2 18:01:15 CDT 2011

All:

It's news to me that Nasella pulchra straw "contains one of the strongest
herbicides of our native grasses," but I remain ready to be educated on the
active principles and the independently published studies that will do that.

This is not to imply that straw application is not effective, it clearly is,
as any third-grader can demonstrate, but it might not be indicated in all
cases. Among the active principles might be reduction of solar radiation,
habitat alteration, habitat for a number of species, precipitation
interception, stemflow metering, N-reduction, and perhaps others that don't
come to mind right now. Anybody care to fill in the rest?

WT

PS: I hope it bears no resemblance to "Roundup(R)," but if it does, I
wouldn't touch it. Glyphosate is a useful tool, but greatly overused and
misused, even when the manufacturers' directions are followed. It should
never be used as a general spray on any restoration project at any stage,
period. It can be useful when it can be confined ONLY to the target plant.