[PCA] ARTICLE: Population extinctions driven by climate change, population size, and time since observation may make rare species databases inaccurate

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Wed Oct 23 08:59:14 CDT 2019

Interesting article...surveys and re-surveys are important - as are
consolidating and assessing the big picture from the survey data.

I would be interested to know more about how folks address the issue of
orchid dormancy - esp because it could influence habitat
management/conservation - if folks think a plant is gone, then they might
move ahead with alteration/destruction of the habitat.

It is my impression that dormancy is a life strategy (not necessarily
end-of-life) - based on comments/info from Doug Gill having observed
several populations of pink lady's slipper for many, many years...in fact,
here is an article that says just that: "According to Dr. Gill, the pink
lady’s slippers are unusual in that the plant can go dormant for up to, and
possibly more than, 20 years."
https://ourstoriesandperspectives.com/2016/05/03/delicate-and-refined-an-orchid/

Welcome any info on how land managers are or could be taking this into
account.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.

Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority

US Fish & Wildlife Service

5275 Leesburg Pike, MS: IA

Falls Church, VA 22041-3803

703-358-1708 x 1753

703-358-2276 (FAX)

Let’s put the right seed, in the right place, at the right time!

-National Seed Strategy
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>