[PCA] ARTICLE: Population extinctions driven by climate change, population size, and time since observation may make rare species databases inaccurate

afrates at addsuminc.com afrates at addsuminc.com
Wed Oct 23 10:43:11 CDT 2019

This is an excellent question and not just with orchids (observations of Calochortus nuttallii and therefore no doubt other Calochorti suggest that it can lay dormant for decades).

Re: Cypripediums,  there are estimates of overall longevity of "clumps" in the European Cypripredium calceolus (which we can assume applies to the C. parviflorum complex in the US and others)  of well over 100 years:

https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-2745.2005.01010.x

Rare plant survey protocols typically don't take plant dormancy (nor of seeds) into account before allowing disturbance.

Tony Frates/Utah Native Plant Society