[PCA] Publication released! Conservation Gap Analysis of Native U.S. Oaks

Amy Byrne abyrne at mortonarb.org
Mon Jul 29 09:49:08 CDT 2019

We are pleased to announce the release of the Conservation Gap Analysis of
Native U.S. Oaks
<https://www.mortonarb.org/files/conservation-gap-analysis-of-native-US-oaks.pdf>.
Thank you so much to everyone who participated in this endeavor, which we
hope will drive future partnerships, collaborations, and, ultimately, the
successful preservation of our diverse native U.S. oaks, both in situ and ex
situ.

With funding from the USDA Forest Service, The Morton Arboretum and Botanic
Gardens Conservation International U.S. have assessed the conservation
status and needs of native U.S. oaks, to inform a broad audience of
stakeholders. Of the 91 native U.S. oak species, our study identified 28 as
species of conservation concern, based on factors such as habitat
destruction, susceptibility to climate change, and lack of representation
in ex situ collections. Each of these at-risk species is analyzed in a
detailed species profile, providing specific recommendations for in situ
and ex situ conservation actions. By providing actionable recommendations
and a list of stakeholders currently engaged in conservation efforts for
the 28 U.S. oak species of conservation concern, this report aims to
catalyze efforts to preserve our native oaks for generations to come.

Please email Amy Byrne, Global Tree Conservation Assistant (
abyrne at mortonarb.org), or Murphy Westwood, Director of Global Tree
Conservation (mwestwood at mortonarb.org), with questions.

Many thanks again to all who made this report possible; it was certainly a
team effort.

Best,

Amy Byrne

abyrne at mortonarb.org