[PCA] How many jobs & what value native plants?

De Angelis, Patricia patricia_deangelis at fws.gov
Wed Apr 4 15:54:12 CDT 2018

Hi again!

I got some really great info from a variety of folks on this list - thanks
again!

A few folks asked me to share the info back out. This listserve doesn't
support a large number of attachments, so attached is a screen shot of the
publications that folks suggested to me and below are links to a few of
them.

I also learned some new terms (at least, new to me): “Ecological
Restoration Economy” or “Rural Restoration Economy”

These terms rightly encompass more than just the value of jobs or growers,
or the supply chain or sales, but also the restoration ecologists,
equipment operators, field workers, monitoring, seed labs, researchers,
seed co-ops, etc.

Some links:

Estimating economic impact from ecological restoration
<https://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2016/1016/ofr20161016.pdf>

*Defining and evaluating the ecological restoration economy*

Estimating the size and impact of the ecological restoration economy
<http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0128339>

Ecological Restoration is $25bill industry that generates 220k jobs
<http://www.ecosystemmarketplace.com/articles/ecological-restoration-25-billion-industry-generates-220000-jobs/>

Estimates of Ecosystem Service values from Ecological Restoration projects
in Massachusetts
<https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2016/08/np/eco-services-summary-ma-der.pdf>

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority
US Fish & Wildlife Service
5275 Leesburg Pike, MS: IA
Falls Church, VA 22041-3803
703-358-1708 x 1753
703-358-2276 (FAX)

Let’s put the right seed, in the right place, at the right time!
-National Seed Strategy
<https://www.blm.gov/programs/natural-resources/native-plant-communities/national-seed-strategy>