[PCA] In Utah land-use fight, 18 goats become unlikely stars

Steve Erickson wean at whidbey.net
Thu Sep 4 13:24:36 CDT 2014

That was also my reaction when reading this. Filling empty
niches? Are they going to reintroduce Wolf and Grizzly Bear?

In Washington, the problems with the introduced goats in Olympic
National Park are well known. The goats never occurred on the
Olympic Peninsula until introduced by hunters in the 1920s. At
one point, the NPS was proposing to hunt them out (at least
within Olympic National Park (ONP), the Forest Service is
hopeless). However, the Bunny Hugger-Animal Rights fanatics
stopped that. Now, the issue of Mountain Goat management within
ONP is being revisited because of the recent killing of a hiker
by a goat and aggressive behavior by goats on numerous
occasions. The Bunny Huggers’ cuddly goats are turning out to
be a serious problem as far as human safety is concerned.

A new management plan and EIS will be produced. Comments on the
EIS scope can be submitted until Sept. 19. I suggest that people
concerned about rare flora urge the NPS to include the
alternative of eradicating these introduced goats. Comments can
be submitted via these links:

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/projectHome.cfm?projectID=49246

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/documentsOpenForReview.cfm?parkID=329&projectID=49246

-Steve Erickson
Whidbey Environmental Action Network
Frosty Hollow Ecological Restoration

On 9/4/14 at 7:33 AM, afrates at addsuminc.com (Addsum-Tony Frates) wrote:

>Thanks for posting this.   Note the contradictory statements
>that the Utah DWR is making here.  They want to "fill a niche"
>yet they utterly despise wolves that play a very important
>ecosystem role.   They want the best wildlife experience for
>"Utahns" most of whom will never be able to even catch a
>glimpse of these introduced (and non-native) goats, but
>represent a treasure trove for guides who will lead
>out-of-state hunters (most likely not Utahns) to their
>locations.   And the statement about lack of damage elsewhere
>as in the Tushars is not true.
>
>This also shows just how ill-equipped the state of Utah is to
>manage its own lands.
>

>Tony Frates
>SLC Utah
>

>Quoting "Ferriel, Roger" <rferriel at blm.gov>:
>
>>In Utah land-use fight, 18 goats become unlikely stars
>>
>>Dylan Brown, E&E reporter
>>Published: Wednesday, September 3, 2014
>>
>>On a remote patch of mountain in southeastern Utah, 18 Rocky Mountain
>goats
>>wander through plants found nowhere else on Earth and straight into a
>>debate raging across the nation's public lands.
>>
>>Last September, Utah's wildlife agency began building a population of
>200
>>mountain goats in the La Sal Mountains, and in doing so, it launched
>the
>>latest chapter in a decades-old conflict over wildlife and federal land
>>management in the West.
>>
>>Since Mary O'Brien got word from a fellow plant scientist about the
>first
>>transplant of goats into an area east of Moab, the 68-year-old has been
>on
>>a quest to ensure the goats don't stick around in the place she
>considers
>>her backyard.
>>
>>The Utah forests program director for the Grand Canyon Trust has been
>>rallying hikers and conservationists to protect a rare example of
>alpine
>>terrain in Utah and its sensitive plants, including the world's only La
>Sal
>>daisies, from the goats.
>>[image: La Sal daisies]
>>
>>[+]
><http://www.eenews.net/greenwire/2014/09/03/stories/1060005159#>Named
>>after the mountains containing the world?s only known population,
>>environmental groups say La Sal daisies are under siege from mountain
>goats
>>introduced into their habitat by the Utah Division of
>>Wildlife  Resources. Photo
>>by Barb Smith, courtesy of the U.S. Forest Service.
>>
>>Chris Wood, the southeast regional supervisor for the Utah Division of
>>Wildlife Resources, expects the new population in the Manti-La Sal
>National
>>Forest to have little impact on the ecosystem. That was the case with
>Tushar
>>Mountains.

> [...]
Preservation     Education     Restoration
Box 53, Langley, WA   98260
(360) 579-4202
wean at whidbey.net
www.whidbeyenvironment.org