[PCA] Journal Article: HE EVOLUTION OF FLORAL SCENT AND OLFACTORY PREFERENCES IN POLLINATORS: COEVOLUTION OR PRE-EXISTING BIAS?

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Mar 16 12:51:23 CDT 2012

Thanks to Peter Bernhardt on the Pollinator Listserve for posting this
thought-provoking article.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist, Division of Scientific Authority-US Fish & Wildlife Service
Chair, Medicinal Plant Working Group-Plant Conservation Alliance
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276

Promoting sustainable use and conservation of our native medicinal plants.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

THE EVOLUTION OF FLORAL SCENT AND OLFACTORY PREFERENCES IN POLLINATORS:
COEVOLUTION OR PRE-EXISTING BIAS?
Florian P. Schiestl1,2, Stefan Dötterl3
Evolution 2012:1-14

Coevolution is thought to be a major factor in shaping plant?pollinator
interactions. Alternatively, plants may have evolved traits that fitted
pre-existing preferences or morphologies in the pollinators. Here, we test
these two scenarios in the plant family of Araceae and scarab beetles
(Coleoptera, Scarabaeidae) as pollinators. We focused on floral volatile
organic compounds (VOCs) and production/detection of VOCs by scarab
beetles. We found phylogenetic structure in the production/detection of
methoxylated aromatics in scarabs, but not plants. Within the plants, most
of the compounds showed a well-supported pattern of correlated evolution
with scarab-beetle pollination. In contrast, the scarabs showed no
correlation between VOC production/detection and visitation to Araceae
flowers, with the exception of the VOC skatole. Moreover, many VOCs were
found in nonpollinating beetle groups (e.g., Melolonthinae) that are
ancestors of pollinating scarabs. Importantly, none of the tested VOCs
were found to have originated in pollinating taxa. Our analysis indicates
a Jurassic origin of VOC production/detection in scarabs, but a
Cretaceous/Paleocene origin of floral VOCs in plants. Therefore, we argue
against coevolution, instead supporting the scenario of sequential
evolution of floral VOCs in Araceae driven by pre-existing bias of
pollinators.

1Institute of Systematic Botany, University of Zu¨ rich, 8008 Zu¨ rich,
Switzerland
2 E-mail: florian.schiestl at systbot.uzh.ch
3 Department of Plant Systematics, University of Bayreuth, 95447 Bayreuth,
Germany