[PCA] Ecological restoration term

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Wed Apr 21 09:12:29 CDT 2010

Dear Danielle and All,

I think the term ecological restoration was made official, when William
Jordan III started the journal with the same name, in the late 1970s, to
where people could contribute stories about the projects that were being
done by both the environmental enthusiasts and the professionals, and it
was not required that your stories be peer reviewed to get published.

Later, the academics wanted a peer reviewed journal, so Restoration
Ecology was born, and ever since then, there has been a tug of war on the
concept, that you can see when you look up ecological restoration in
wikipedia. The academics want to rule the word, making restoration ecology
the official words, whereas the non-academics still desire ecological
restoration.

It is the difference between an academic field of study, where you get
grants to study restoration ecology, vs. actually going out and
accomplishing something actively, like ecological restoration.

I have posted my 2010 California wildflower pictures at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/wild.2010.html, and these areas are used as the
models for completed ecological restoration project that ecological
restorationists do.

These areas are also useful as benchmarks or comparisons, when studying
restoration ecology.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333