[PCA] QUESTION: Origin of "ecological restoration"?

Native Plant Girl nativeplantgirl at sympatico.ca
Thu Apr 22 09:01:32 CDT 2010

If it helps:

    "Theodore M. Sperry was born in Toronto, Ontario, in 1907. After
completing a B.S. in 1929 at Butler University in his hometown of
Indianapolis, Indiana, he entered the graduate school of the University of
Illinois, where he earned an M.S. in 1931 and a Ph.D. in Botany in 1933. In
that same year, Ecology published a condensed version of his dissertation
about root systems of prairie plants. At the University of Wisconsin, Aldo
Leopold read the article and arranged for Sperry's transfer to the Civilian
Conservation Corps under the National Park Service in Madison, Wisconsin.
Under the auspices of Leopold, Sperry was given sixty acres of old farm land
near the Madison campus on the University's research land. Sperry and a
small crew were given long-handled shovels and a truck and told to "go make
a prairie." Curtis Prairie became the world's first restored prairie, and
Sperry considered his work and research at Curtis Prairie his greatest
professional achievement.

    -SERNews, The Newsletter of the Society for Ecological Restoration
International Volume 23 No. 3 (October 23 2009)