[PCA] strict natives vs cultivars

Steve Shelly sshelly at fs.fed.us
Wed Apr 9 12:58:56 CDT 2008

Actually, some grass species are obligate selfers (no cross pollination, by
wind or otherwise) - such as blue wildrye (Elymus glaucus).  In those
cases, the genetic variation is likely to be higher within than among
populations - which was found to be true for this species (from studies
using enzyme electrophoresis, anyway; the question in such situations is
always whether such variation is actually adaptive or not).  So the "risk"
of planting seeds from non-local sources in such a case won't be from
genetic interactions as much as from simply using material that is not
adapted ecologically to the planting site (or, hypothetically, might be
"over-adapted").  In any case - as with most questions in restoration
ecology (and science, for that matter), the answers do not lend themselves
easily to generalizations.  It depends on many, many factors - including
the breeding system, life history, ecological relationships, etc. of each
individual species.

There are many studies that have been published on genetic variation in
native plant species - both from an evolutionary and a restoration ecology
perspective.  In particular, try a Google or Google Scholar search on
"restoration genetics" to get a start in the literature.  And search
"Elymus glaucus" to find the study mentioned above.  There was also an
excellent common garden study (a method used to examine morphological and
reproductive variation in the field) done on this species that serves as a
good example.  The lead author was Vicky Erickson (USFS, Oregon).

Steve Shelly
Regional Botanist/Research Natural Areas Coordinator
U.S. Forest Service, Region 1
P.O. Box 7669, Missoula, Montana  59807
(406) 329-3041
sshelly at fs.fed.us

             MALawler at aol.com
             Sent by:
             native-plants-bou                                          To
             nces at lists.plantc         bmajka at jfnew.com,
             onservation.org           rockypandora at yahoo.com,
                                       native-plants at lists.plantconservati
                                       on.org
             04/09/2008 09:40                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [PCA] strict natives vs
                                       cultivars

Careful....grasses are wind-pollinated --broadcast far and wide--so I think
you wouldn't expect to get as much genetic variability compared to insect
pollinated plants.

ma

In a message dated 4/9/2008 10:37:15 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,