[PCA] strict natives vs cultivars

MaryannWhitman maryannwhitman at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 11:36:47 CDT 2008

Extend that thought to include the fact that most forbs involve pollination
by a separate species-like insect or bird. That species has to recognize the
plant. We are just beginning to explore what sensory cues that the
pollinators might respond to. In changing the colour of the plant what
sensory input is being altered-which might not be obvious to the human eye?
I have in mind the ultra-violet colour cues that have been found on some
flower petals-also called the 'landing platform' cues. And what about
perfume-our noses tell us this has been bred out of some flowers.

The systematic/controlled research simply is not out there. I have heard
reports from gardeners paying attention to such things: Lobelia cardinalis
'the purple form' gets no action from the hummingbirds while the species
form is swamped.

Another good reason to preserve the species form is to show our children:
"this is what one of those is supposed to look like". Kids already see
pansies morph into petunias, into chrysanthemums, as the subdivision
gardeners do their jobs while the kids are at school. Strange lessons in
plant evolution.

The Precautionary Principle suggests we stick with the species until we know
more.

Maryann

Maryann Whitman, Journal Editor

Wild Ones: Native Plants, Natural Landscapes

www.for-wild.org

Wild Ones: Native Plants, Natural Landscapes promotes environmentally sound
practices to encourage biodiversity through the preservation, restoration
and establishment of native plant communities. Wild Ones is a
not-for-profit, environmental, educational, and advocacy organization.

  _____