[PCA] strict natives vs cultivars

euphorbia at aol.com euphorbia at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 10:51:23 CDT 2008

Well, I too am a landscaper who's been working with (primarily) natives for the past 20 years and have had this conversation many times.? My thoughts are these;?

If you are doing restoration projects, you should be trying to stick with straight species plants as they are being re-introduced into a system that you hope becomes a self-sustaining habitat.? On the flip side, if you are designing 'gardens' for home owners, you're not really 'restoring' habitat, you are creating a garden for a client who most likely lives in a sub-divison.? That said subdivision has been bulldozed, and reworked to fit the needs of the human?inhabitants and (in general) very little care is given in saving 'natural' areas and what is a 'sustainable' landscape.?

Beyond that, most developers could care less about natives vs non natives and simply replant with plants they know will survive (like Eleagnus).? Here in Northern Virginia it's not uncommon?to see Bradford pears lining the streets of neighborhoods, it's also not uncommon to see those same pears littering the roadsides and open fields from having escaped cultivation.

Now the question comes; would you rather see bradford pears, or 'Red Sunset' maples escaping cultivation?? Myself, I'd rather have a native cultivar escaping than a non-native cultivar.

Yes, this has negative effects on the genetic diversity of the population of maples in the area, but it's still better than them disappeaing all together under the birage of exotic invasive 'cultivars' escaping into the wild.

My other point would be this; we as humans, have always 'selected' cultivars that we use in our landscapes.? Non-informed people will always want the Echinacea 'Magnus' over the straight species because it is the showier plant.? You have to fight the battles you can win, and if you end up losing the battle, the next landscaper is more likely to plant a cultivar of a non-native plant than to even consider natives of any kind.? Early in my career I tried the 'straight species'?approach and wound up losing a lot of work and not helping to further the cause of natives.?

In a dream world, it would be great if people 'got it' but honestly, not many people do.? They simply want some pretty plants that are easy to take care of and will improve the value of their home.? Again, we need to fight the good fight and fight the battles we know we can win (and maybe a few we can't sometimes).? Once you have enough of a portfolio built up of 'native plant gardens' then you have some 'evidence' behind you to take that next step and talk about the importance of 'straight species plants'.

Change comes in small steps most times, so take the small steps first and with time, the big steps will become easier.

John

John C. Magee
Landscape Operations Manager
Greenworks Landscaping