[PCA] FIRE 07 Climate change Re: NEWS: Climate change likely to increase fires

Michael Van Clef mvanclef at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 15 11:03:35 CDT 2007

Interesting discussion.  Personally, my biggest concern in New Jersey is the spread of species from southern areas with a warming climate.  Species such as English ivy, porcelain berry, kudzu etc. are present but somewhat limited (by climate?) in NJ for now...maybe there are also invasive species with more northerly affinities that will be lessened though...Time (and some research?) will tell...

-MikeMichael Van Clef, Ph.D.Ecological Solutions, LLC9 Warren LaneGreat Meadows, NJ 07838908-528-6674www.njecologicalsolutions.com

To: apwg at lists.plantconservation.org; native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org; rwg at lists.plantconservation.orgFrom: Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.govDate: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:28:31 -0400Subject: Re: [PCA] FIRE 07 Climate change Re: NEWS: Climate change likely to increase firesIt's great to see this issue getting more press.  But, I also see where Wayne is coming from. The article below mentions two conditions that will contribute to the proliferation of invasives in response to global climate change:

fires deposit nutrients into the soil that encourage the growth of cheatgrass
increased atmospheric carbon dioxide, typically associated with climate changes, encourages the growth of tough cheatgrass I just attended a conference two weeks ago on global climate change and the effect on local flora in the Appalachians of Maryland and West Virginia.  One of the speakers mentioned that recent research was suggesting that invasives would take off with global climate change - that the hotter, drier conditions will favor them.  He pointed out that this is not necessarily true.  Microstegium (Japanese stiltgrass), for instance, which is plaguing the Appalachians is not good at getting into the drier sites.   So, although I am pleased at the increased attention to this issue, I think Wayne's point is well taken.  As plant scientists, it's important for us to resist the urge to put specific situations into a general "Inbox."  Different species will react differently in different environments.  It's our job to explore the possibilities and to help others understand them without making sweeping generalizations. Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.Botanist - Division of Scientific AuthorityChair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working GroupUS Fish & Wildlife Service4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 110Arlington, VA  22203703-358-1708 x1753FAX: 703-358-2276Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural resources.<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Wayne Tyson <landrest at cox.net> Sent by: rwg-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
10/12/2007 11:02 PM

Olivia Kwong <plant at plantconservation.org>, native-plants at lists.plantconservation.org, apwg at lists.plantconservation.org, rwg at lists.plantconservation.org

cc

Subject
[RWG] FIRE 07 Climate change Re: NEWS: Climate change likely to increase fires

Invasive plants like the Sahara mustard are quite likely to be a factor in wildfires, as they fill spaces between widely-scattered shrubs, and climate change will no doubt affect fire behavior, but I yearn for more evidence and less opinion and conjecture regarding such sweeping conclusions.  It makes for good press, but what is needed is good research and solid data.  Fires have, and will continue to be, a factor in Great Basin ecosystems, but the real question is what precisely is the connection between the data and the conclusions, and what is the marginal difference.  Sensationalism destroys credibility, and "we" need credibility more than ever in these truly pivotal times.  WTAt 12:53 PM 10/12/2007, Olivia Kwong wrote: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_sc/wildfires_climate_change Climate change likely to increase firesBy KATHLEEN HENNESSEY, Associated Press Writer Thu Oct 11, 8:26 PM ETLAS VEGAS - Climate change is likely to increase the number of wildfires fueled by invasive weeds that are spreading throughout the Great Basin, researchers told a U.S. Senate subcommittee Thursday.See the link above for the full article text._______________________________________________PCA's Restoration Working Group mailing listRWG at lists.plantconservation.orghttp://lists.plantconservation.org/mailman/listinfo/rwg_lists.plantconservation.org _______________________________________________PCA's Restoration Working Group mailing listRWG at lists.plantconservation.orghttp://lists.plantconservation.org/mailman/listinfo/rwg_lists.plantconservation.org