[PCA] FIRE 07 Climate change Re: NEWS: Climate change likely to increase fires

Addsum-Tony Frates afrates at addsuminc.com
Mon Oct 15 11:25:32 CDT 2007

Good points, yes, and sure, we always need more information, and yes
there have been sensationalized articles, however, the one that seems
to be the subject of this discussion, i.e.:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_sc/wildfires_climate_change

does not appear to one of them.   Jayne Belnap is a very well
respected scientist and one of the foremost experts in biological
crusts aka microbiotic soils  (and I've clipped in a few more
paragraphs from the recent article below).   Google her.    We should
be listening to what she is saying and not simply saying that we need
more information.   There are no sweeping generalizations being made
here.   No decisions are made with perfect information, ever.   We're
still waiting for the grazing and OHV studies too, but meanwhile,
land managers and others must make decisions based on the best
available information and act (and of course refine those actions as
additional information beomes available).   Otherwise, it will be too
late.

Tony Frates

More from the 10/11/07 AP article above:

Ecologist Jayne Belnap told a meeting of the public lands and forests
committee that some climate change models predict average temperature
increases of up to 11 degrees by the end of the century, as well as
increases in precipitation and carbon dioxide levels. The combination
means more cheatgrass and potentially more wildfires.

There's a lot of reason to expect (wildfires) will increase," Belnap
told the subcommittee meeting in Las Vegas. "The biggest reason is
we'll have drier soil, we'll have drier fuels. ... most climate
models would project that they will increase."