[PCA] Vines Take Over Southern U.S. Forests - Global warming to blame, again!

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Jul 23 10:29:01 CDT 2007

I take umbrage with this growing trend to blame global warming for all
that is evil in our environment today.  For instance, this article
recently appeared over the internet.

Vines Take Over Southern U.S. Forests
Andrea Thompson
LiveScience Staff Writer  Fri Jul 20, 11:40 AM ET
Creeping vines are increasingly invading Southern forests, choking out
trees and altering forest makeups.  Scientists say increased levels of
carbon dioxide might be to blame.....Just why the vines are taking over is
uncertain, but Allen and his colleagues speculate that increasing carbon
dioxide concentrations that are fueling global warming could be benefiting
vine growth more than tree growth.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070720/sc_livescience/vinestakeoversouthernusforests

The fact is, vines are excellent primary colonizers.  They have the leg up
on most slower-growing temperate species (incl. trees!) and they simply
outcompete them.  So, the physiology of the plants plays a role.  But,
while there could be some mysterious microscopic activity, there are
several macroscopic factors that are clearly creating the opportunity for
these vines and other weeds to proliferate:

1. How close are these forested areas from private land?  Many vines were
brought into our country as horticultural plants. Many private land owners
think ivy/kudzu/looks cool growing up the side of your trees. Similarly,
when old estates with once-elaborate, well-tended gardens, fall into
disrepair and neglect, plants that had been previously kept at bay, start
"moving."  Thus, landowners have a hand in the problem.

2. What's the forests' proximity to urbanized areas?  Buffers between
forested land and homes are getting thinner.  "Thinner" woods are more
easily penetrated by vines, which is compounded by the animals that are
being left with fewer shelter/food resources.  Thus, city planners and the
animals that rely on the trees have a hand in the problem.

3. And the kiss of death, road building?   Not only do the vines/weeds
come in on construction equipment but many of the weeds/vines thrive on
disturbed land.  This could explain why the newer forests have
exponentially more vine incursions than the older forest systems.  Thus,
land managers/construction companies/developers have a hand in the
problem.

I know I'm preaching to the choir a bit here but we all need to be aware
of the subtle danger in blaming global warming for all our environmental
ails.  Blaming global warming turns tangible problems into something
intangible, distancing people from the issues and effectively absolving or
removing them from taking responsibility or control.   It's not clear to
me whether this new global warming "awareness" will actually help the
environment, or hurt it.

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>