[PCA] NY Heritage Botanist Job opening

Larry Morse larry.morse.dc at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 6 22:32:29 CDT 2006

Direct any applications/questions to Steve Young at NYHP, not to me!  Larry
Morse

(particularly those involving field inventories and information
dissemination) and serves as the primary botanist for one or more of these
projects. He/She is responsible for various project-related tasks,
including project planning, landscape analyses, field surveys for rare
plant species, literature reviews, element occurrence record transcription,
species Conservation Guide conservation guide preparation, and report
preparation. He/She assists in the development of the botanical components
of the NY Natural Heritage database. The Botanist oversees one or more
contractors and serves as the project manager for one or more projects.
He/She may serve as a mentor for other staff on activities on which he/she
has particular expertise, but does not supervise other staff.

> ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
> 1.	Manage & Coordinate Projects:  Serve as project manager for projects
by coordinating the work of NY Natural Heritage staff and contractors
working on the project and training contractors as needed. Review
contracts, administer project budgets, and act as a liaison to project
sponsors in coordination with the Program Botanist and Director. Present
project overviews at conferences and meetings and write periodic progress
reports and final reports as needed.
> 2.	Field Work:  Conduct landscape analyses to identify potential
inventory sites using remote sensing data, other digital and hard-copy data
layers, and information from the scientific literature, government
agencies, and knowledgeable individuals.  Conduct field surveys to document
rare species in project areas using the methods and techniques developed by
the Natural Heritage Network and other experts.
> 3.	Database Management:  Transcribe, update, map, and quality control
rare plant element occurrence records.  Assist in the maintenance of plant
element files.
> 4.	Information Dissemination: Write Conservation Guides for selected rare
plants and assist the Program Botanist in editing the annual rare plant
status lists.
> 5.	Innovation:  Participate in the ongoing development of new tools,
methods, processes, and techniques that improve the collection, storage,
interpretation, dissemination, and application of NY Natural Heritage
information.
> 6.	Communications:  Communicate the role of the NY Natural Heritage
Program in the conservation of New York’s biodiversity, and explain the
utility of inventories and landscape analyses to partners and potential
clients.  In collaboration with the Program Botanist and Director,
communicate regularly with key project partners and others to maintain
strong partnerships and facilitate effective conservation.
> 7.	Fund Raising:  Assist in the identification and development of funding
proposals that will improve the NY Natural Heritage Program’s effectiveness
at enabling and enhancing conservation.
> 8.	Info Requests:  Respond to requests for botanical information from the
NY Natural Heritage database and provide interpretation, as needed.
> 9.	Mentor:  Serve as a mentor for other staff on activities on which
he/she has particular expertise, through in-house training sessions and
collaboration on project activities.

> ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
> 1.	Advanced degree in biological sciences with course work and field
experience indicating a knowledge of the rare plants and ecological
communities of New York State, or comparable work or research experience.
Field inventory skills desired -- both botanical field methods and plant
species identification.
> 2.	Demonstrated experience with aerial photograph and topographic map
interpretation. Project management and administrative experience, database
management, word processing, and computer mapping skills desirable.
> 3.	Ability to work effectively with others under pressure and tight
deadlines in a busy office environment.  Capable of working independently
to complete projects.
> 4.	Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to write
technical reports utilizing available resources.
> 5.	Willingness to travel throughout New York State and endure the rigors
of field work for long days and extended periods.
> 6.	Comfort articulating and advocating for the NY Natural Heritage
Program's biodiversity conservation mission.

> Steve Young
> Program Botanist
> New York Natural Heritage Program
> 625 Broadway, 5th Floor
> Albany, NY 12233-4757
>
> 518-402-8951
> 518-402-8925 FAX
> smyoung at gw.dec.state.ny.us
> website: www.nynhp.org
>
> The New York Natural Heritage Program is a partnership between The Nature
Conservancy and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.