[PCA] Fw: [Pollinator] Roads and pollinators - again

Harper-Lore, Bonnie Bonnie.Harper-Lore at fhwa.dot.gov
Thu Aug 31 13:37:08 CDT 2006

I am a technical resource for all 50 State DOTs.
The mowing tradition is a tough one to crack.  Doing so is part of my
job description.
I have been trying for 13 years...so feel free to carp!!!
The safety reason has no scientific basis and is overused, because it is
"the way we've always done it".
The clear zone policy of many DOTs is not accurate.  Reasonable mowing
of one swath only is what is needed for vehicle recovery and parking for
emergencies.  One swath is all that is needed for visibility at
intersections and in forested areas.
Mowing itself in some states is admittedly attracting large mammals to
the roadside to eat.  We shoot ourselves in the foot with over mowing.
Honestly, there are only two answers I have found:
1.  Calls from the public to the top of the DOT or the Governor, and/or
2.  State legislation.  At least 3 States have reduced mowing by DOT
laws that allow only one swath except during one month in the end of
summer where they can mow right of way fence to right of way fence.
They think the public wants it to look neat.  Let them know if you
prefer a natural look.  The 3 States who do have mowing law imposed on
DOTs did so to protect nesting birds.  Reduced mowing would also protect
other small critters, and pollinators.  We did a study in Iowa some
years back and showed that butterflies prefered native unmowed grassland
habitat and did not increase butterfly roadkill.  Every State in the
U.S.  has some kind of grassland community to emulate.  I advocate
grasslands, because highway engineers will be comfortable with a
softscape solution that they can at least mow the edge and on occasion
all to prevent forest encroachment.

Their fear is litigation.  One tree and one vehicle collide on their
right of way, and the responsibility has been historically costly.  This
is a difficult fear to overcome.  It has a lot of history and dollars
lost behind it.

Perhaps these insights will give you some ideas about how you can help
them mow less.  Let them know you do not want the agricultural approach
to vegetation management, but a more natural and ecologically-based
solution.  They really want to "do the right thing" too.

Good luck,
Bonnie.

Bonnie L. Harper-Lore
Restoration Ecologist