[PCA] Fw: [Pollinator] Roads and pollinators - again

Harper-Lore, Bonnie Bonnie.Harper-Lore at fhwa.dot.gov
Thu Aug 31 10:33:32 CDT 2006

I have worked with roadside issues for almost 20 years.  IF your New Jersey State DOT District or perhaps County (is not cooperating....which they are more and more prone to do)......you could do what some states have done in the 80's to protect exotic pheasants (ironic in retrospect).

The States of Michigan, Minnesota and I think Wisconsin, have legislated mowing periords to allow nesting birds to fledge before mowing begins.
Why not do the same for your rare orchids and gentians?  Mowing of rural roadsides is allowed only between June 15 and September 15, except for one swath for
visibility and pull-off purposes............Be creative, but do talk to whichever authority that does the mowing first.  They want to do the right thing too!!!  They just might be hung up on an old agricultural approach to roadside management and know the weeds, but not the rich diversity of natives in the area.

Good luck to you,  Bonnie

P.S.  I am a technical resource for all 50 State Highway agencies and teach roadside management to them and counties across the U.S.

Bonnie L. Harper-Lore

Restoration Ecologist

Office of Environment, HEPN-30

Federal Highway Administration