[PCA] Fw: [Pollinator] Roads and pollinators - again

Steve Erickson wean at whidbey.net
Thu Aug 31 14:22:21 CDT 2006

The problem is not developing site (or area)-specific  vegetation
managment prescriptions for roadsides. The problem is political and
social. For example, the Washington state DOT and our county road shops
are fiefdom's unto themselves, and conservation generally is culturally
resented by the guys on-the-ground. The only way we've made any
progress is by massive public pressure and credible threats of litigation. In
my county, I'm now careful to not inform the county road shops/workers
about areas to avoid, not mow, mow only at certain times, etc. I've learned
from unhappy experience that they will almost always do exactly what I
didn't want. The plants have a better chance just relying on the random
possibility that they'll miss or otherwise not trash out the roadside
vegetation in any particulr year.

-Steve
Frosty Hollow Ecological Restoration
“Helping Nature Heal”