[PCA] Native plant policies

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Aug 17 08:13:08 CDT 2006

I'd like to provide you with a synopsis of federal native plant policies
that I pulled together recently - based in part on discussions that were
had over this list and the MPWG list and thanks to our many knowledgeable
PCA members.  This is not intended to be the absolute final word on the
issue - it's a work in progress, but here is what I've found thus far.
Please feel free to add to this list.

Definition of native

>The Plant Conservation Alliance (PCA) recommends that "native species" be
defined "from a regional (geographic) perspective."
>>For example, the following information is provided regarding Maryland's
natives, see: <http://www.nps.gov/plants/pubs/nativesMD/info.htm>.  As
part of PCA's Native Plant Materials Development program (NPMD, <
http://www.nps.gov/plants/sos/>), PCA is working to develop "seed transfer
zones" that can be used as a guideline for choosing ecologically
appropriate plant material.

>FWS
>>As far as I have been able to find, we have no specific language on what
is native with regard to CITES or to endangered species.
>>Refuges define native as follows:
---"E. Native. With respect to a particular ecosystem, a species that,
other than as a result of an introduction, historically occurred or
currently occurs in that ecosystem. "  (601 FW 3 Biological Integrity,
Diversity, and Environmental Health)
>>With regard to habitat restoration, refuge policies are as follows. It's
unclear from this language whether there is any specific guidance as to
whether restoration on refuges should  entail the use of native plant
species or if there is any guidance to use native plants for areas that
are "managed for wildlife.":
---"E. Invasive Species. Invasive species are alien species whose
introduction does or is likely to cause economic or environmental harm, or
harm to human health. Alien species, or nonindigenous species, are species
that are not native to a particular ecosystem. We are prohibited by
Executive Order, law, and policy from authorizing, funding, or carrying
out actions that are likely to cause or promote the introduction or spread
of invasive species in the United States or elsewhere."  (From 620 FW 1,
Habitat Management Plans)
---"1.7 What guiding principles should I use to develop HMPs and AHWPs? G.
Manage invasive species to improve or stabilize biotic communities to
minimize unacceptable change to ecosystem structure and function and
prevent new and expanded infestations of invasive species. Conduct refuge
habitat management activities to prevent, control, or eradicate invasive
species using techniques described through an integrated pest management
plan, or other similar management plan, which comprehensively evaluates
all potential integrated management options including defining
threshold/risk levels that will initiate the implementation of proposed
management actions. Evaluate native habitat management activities with
respect to their potential to accidentally introduce or increase the
spread of invasive species and modify our habitat management operations to
prevent increasing invasive species populations. Refuge integrated pest
management planning will address the abilities and limitations of
potential techniques including chemical, biological, mechanical, and
cultural techniques. We manage invasive species on refuges under the
guidance of the National Strategy for Invasive Species Management and
within the context of applicable policy."  (From 620 FW 1, Habitat
Management Plans)

>BLM:
>>The definition in the BLM Manual, Section 1745, of native species
(including plants) is: "All species of plants and animals naturally
occurring, either presently or historically, in any ecosystem of the
United States" (taken from EO 11987).

>Forest Service:
>>“All indigenous, terrestrial, and aquatic plant species that evolved
naturally in an ecosystem." (FSM 2070.5)
>>The original notice is available at: <
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2006/pdf/E6-8136.pdf>.  The comment period
was extended until August 24.

>National Park Service:
>>“Native species” are defined as all species that have occurred or now
occur as a result of natural processes on lands designated as units of the
national park system. Native species in a place are evolving in concert
with each other. “Exotic species” are those species that occupy or could
occupy park lands directly or indirectly as the result of deliberate or
accidental human activities. Exotic species are also commonly referred to
as non- native, alien, or invasive species. Because an exotic species did
not evolve in concert with the species native to the place, the exotic
species is not a natural component of the natural ecosystem at that place.
 (4.4.1.3 Definition of Native and Exotic Species:)

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

"Emily Roberson" <emilyr at plantsocieties.org>
Sent by: native-plants-bounces at lists.plantconservation.org
08/16/2006 05:07 PM
Please respond to
emilyr at plantsocieties.org

"Emily Roberson" <emilyr at plantsocieties.org>
cc

Subject
[PCA] Center For Biological Diversity NPCC News: Park Service   policy on
use of natives

Center for Biological Diversity
**NATIVE PLANT CONSERVATION CAMPAIGN NEWS **
ÏËÒËÏËÒËÏËÒËÏËÒËÏËÏËÒËÏËÒËÏËÒËÏËÒ

A National Park Service ecologist was kind enough to send in a correction
to the alert regarding federal policies on use of native plants in
revegetation projects. The Forest Service is not the first federal agency
to have a national native plant policy. The National Park Service already
has one. See below.

The Park Service guidance regarding “appropriate” plant materials for
reveg/rehabitation projects is very interesting and might make a useful
part of Forest Service definition of “genetically appropriate”

Forwarded Correction:
A small correction on your statement that USFS is the first agency to have
a native plant policy.  It has been the nationwide policy of the National
Park Service to use native plants/ genetic material for many years.

National Park Service Management Policies (2001, the current policy) is
very clear on this issue in many places, but the most concise reference
is:
4.4.2.4.....

"Landscape revegetation efforts will use seeds, cuttings, or
transplants representing species and gene pools native to the ecological
portion of the park in which the restoration project is occurring".
Other places in the policies support this in discussions of management of
exotics, cultural landscape restoration, and genetic resource management
principles.”

NOTE: NPCC welcomes corrections, comments and criticisms of our positions
and alerts. Thanks to all who have helped out in this way! Keep them
coming!

Emily

____________________________
Emily B. Roberson, Ph.D.
Director
Native Plant Conservation Campaign
A Program of the Center for Biological Diversity

PMB 151 (not p.o.b)
1459 18th St.
San Francisco, CA 94107
Phone: 415 970 0394

Email:  eroberson at biologicaldiversity.org
Web:   http://www.plantsocieties.org
          www.biologicaldiversity.org

The mission of the NPCC is to promote appreciation and conservation of
native plant species and communities through collaboration, education,
law, policy, land use and management.

Disclaimer
Posts on this list reflect only the opinion of the individual who is
posting the message; they are not official opinions or positions of the
Plant Conservation Alliance.