[PCA] Post NY Times moss article

A & T Schrum agschrum at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 1 12:29:59 CST 2004

I believe your statement is too broad and also erroneous.  A very
cursory google search found the link below which lists 11 species of
moss native to Appalachian wetlands that are considered rare.  To say
that mosses recover after harvesting within a certain time is a blanket
statement not applicable to all species and very misleading.  Indeed,
some mosses, lichens and liverworts are very vigorous in their growth,
but this is not the case for all species.  I'm sure a more thorough
search of the internet and other materials would yield even more species
in peril.

http://www.wsi.nrcs.usda.gov/products/piedmont/app-b.pdf

As for the question what are the collected mosses used for - mainly
decorative "fill" for potted plants, holiday arrangements, etc.  In my
opinion, this practice is as abhorrent as the harvesting of Galax leaves
for the floral trade.

--Theresa Schrum
Georgia Native Plant Society