[PCA] Post NY Times moss article

Dan Pittillo pittillo at email.wcu.edu
Wed Dec 1 12:28:11 CST 2004

Fred Hays probably doesn't understand the role that moss plays in the natural ecosystem.
One of the best places for some plants to germinate, such as Shortia galacifolia, is in the
moss mat. Why would one think the moss prevents normal soil functions of air exchange?

	J. Dan Pittillo
	Professor in Biology
	Department of Biology
	Western Carolina University