[PCA] POLLINATOR: CESU Funding Opportunity for NRCS Pollination Information System

Plant Conservation plant at plantconservation.org
Thu Aug 12 09:15:53 CDT 2004

FYI, please respond directly to Mark Skinner (mskinner at po.nrcs.usda.gov)
if you have questions.

-------------------------------------

From: "Mark Skinner" <mskinner at po.nrcs.usda.gov>

Dear All,

The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), as part of its
involvement in the NAPPC Conservation and Restoration Committee, is
developing a pollination information system to promote pollinator-friendly
land management practices within and outside of NRCS.  This system will use
the searchable USDA PLANTS database (http://plants.usda.gov/) as a
botanical framework to publish information about pollinator/plant
relationships for use in wildland restoration, agriculture, and other land
conservation activities.  We are currently completing work with the USDA
ARS Bee Lab in Logan, UT, on bee/plant host relationships.  These data will
anchor this new pollination information tool, and we're now ready to extend
this compilation to other North American pollinator groups.  Details are
contained in the attached document.  If you can suggest how we can improve
the proposal, please get in touch.

Please contact me if you are interested in helping us develop this
important piece of the pollinator protection puzzle, or know someone who
might.  We would like to contract this work using the CESU network (
http://www.cesu.org/cesu/) because this lets us streamline the contracting
process.  We are reasonably confident of additional support if this is
needed.  Unfortunately, due to budget timing, we only recently received
this funding and must have it fully allocated by August 20, 2004, so time
is definitely short.

Many thanks,

Mark Skinner
Plant Systematist
USDA NRCS National Plant Data Center
mskinner at po.nrcs.usda.gov
225 775-6280(See attached file: 040729 CESU-Pollination.doc)