[MPWG] addendum Re: Saving Plants That Save Lives

cafesombra at aol.com cafesombra at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 07:48:06 CST 2008

 While I see your point, I don't think abandoning the rule of law will make things better.? For now, laws that encourage commerce are well-enforced, while laws that inhibit commerce are not.? But times have changed.? Laws uber-enabling commerce are based on a false reality where no forest is threatened, no resource is scarce, nothing has value in light of COMMON heritage, and global warming is a left-wing scam.? The people who nurture and protect plants are in fact not effective when faced with laws that enable commerce come hell or high water -- unless they can somehow slip under the radar and mind their own plot of ground in a bubble all their own.? That's very noble, we all hope and need for private property owners to be good stewards of the land.? Unfortunately, most people are not private property owners.? Owning land is not a prerequisite to caring about wildlife, or to needing wild resources -- and people who do not own land deserve assurance that society at large is protecting the common good now and for the future.? So we need laws to protect wild resources.? Voluntary policies and "codes of ethics" are even more unenforcible than actual laws -- especially in the business environment where good-old-friends networks run things. When "it's all about relationships," who wants to be the whistle blower and become an outcast from the inner circle?? I believe that instead of scoffing at unenforcible laws we need to seriously take on the challenge of how to enforce them.? We don't see it (yet) in the US, but in some underdeveloped nations the caring and nurturing stewards of the land are starting to become radicalized, taking up arms themselves to enforce laws the authorities can't or won't.? Surely, this is not an acceptable development.