[MPWG] addendum Re: Saving Plants That Save Lives

Bob Beyfuss rlb14 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 4 10:10:22 CST 2008

With all respect to to the good people who read this list I will continue
my rant. I did not write this but I often repeat the following quote. "Laws
are best explained, interpreted and applied by those whose chief interests
and abilities lie in perverting, subverting and obscuring them". Certainly
we need laws to protect society but they need to be well crafted so as to
actually accomplish their objective. My experience is that many laws
designed with good intentions to protect Natural Resources end up being
used for exploitation by some of the interests who obey "the letter of the
law" but not necessarily the intent. Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote " Laws
that men cannot and will not obey only serve to bring all laws into
contempt". Laws often allow people to dodge responsibility for their own
actions or inactions. Instead of individuals being responsible for what
happens on public or private land, laws make it "the government's problem".
Citizens need to take a far more active role in protecting our resources
and not just leave it up to the "officials". Laws make it easy for people
to abandon responsibility. Is it only wrong to destroy a natural resource
because it is illegal? If so, is it OK to destroy a natural resource if we
can figure out a way to do it "legally"?
Does anyone see the hypocrisy in passing laws to prevent a citizen from
harvesting a plant while allowing a developer to bulldoze the habitat?
We also need to consider the price of enforcement. To begin to enforce
current laws protecting wild ginseng, for example, in NY would require the
presence of literally hundreds of law enforcement officers on every Mt top
and valley in NY that harbors wild ginseng. Should society in general be
required to pay for this?  Law abiding citizens do not need this
enforcement and the bad guys quickly figure out how to get around them, so
what is the point? I would rather see the money spent to educate the
average citizen on why it is so important to protect and preserve rather
than cops to enforce laws no one is even aware of. Recently published
research on this topic points out that offering "legal protection" for
plants without providing funding to actually provide protection is worse
than doing nothing at all. As for " in some underdeveloped nations the
caring and nurturing stewards of the land are starting to become
radicalized, taking up arms themselves to enforce laws the authorities
can't or won't.  Surely, this is not an acceptable development." I am not
so sure this is so unacceptable, at least in principle. I am not advocating
people take up arms but citizens,  need to do something other than pass the
buck to "the government".
On a related issue from a previous post, the comparison of protecting elk
from hunting by Native Americans who are "allowed" to do so was mentioned
in this context. This reinforces my point of "it is OK if it is "legal".
Before we had "laws" protecting the elk Native Americans did this pretty
well themselves. The law "allowing" them to do so, only serves to abdicate
the responsibility of why it should not be done.
On a policy note, I think we have made serious mistakes in "lumping"
together management issues regarding Natural Resources protection. I don't
think you can manage elk in Montana the same way you manage wild ginseng in
Kentucky or fish in the Great lakes. To try to do so trivializes the issues.
NY State just created a brand new bureaucracy called "Office of Invasive
Species". This new department is charged with dealing with the nebulous
issue of "invasives" which includes everything from viruses such as West
Nile Virus, to bacteria such the cause of Lyme disease, to mollusks such as
Zebra mussels, to insects such as the Sirex wood wasp, to terrestrial
plants such as mile a minute vine, aquatic plants such as water chestnut
and on and on. It is very easy to jump on this bandwagon because everyone
has something they don't like. The only thing these organisms have in
common is that most of us don't like them and worse horrors, they are not
"native".  I propose a more realistic agency of "Dealing with Foreign Stuff
most of us don't Like" . Of course the American way of "Dealing with
Foreign Stuff most of us don't Like" is to get rid of them. Businesses who
specialize in killing "stuff we don't like" such as herbicide manufacturers
love this type of legislation.(more laws)  It certainly does sell their
product when school kids or the Nature Conservancy can get government
grants to spray glyphosate or other herbicides on "foreign plants most of
us don't like". Do these kids really have any idea what they are doing
besides killing something someone has told them they don't like?
Anyone who has pulled weeds by hand for several hours quickly realizes that
it is much easier to spray a herbicide but is it really the same result?
One law I actually would like to see would require resource managers to
accurately predict what will replace the plants they destroy once they are
destroyed. If that cannot be determined I question the killing in the first
place. Assuming "superior" native plants will replace "evil" exotics once
the bad guys are killed is naive at best. The law of unintended
consequences has merit.
As for the evil "exotics", without being aware of historical context no
ecologist can distinguish between a native plant and an exotic one when
studying an ecosystem.  Some of our best medicinal plants (this is a
medicinal plants listserve) and most of our food are exotics. True, some
are potentially "invasive" but I don't want to see laws "banning" exotics
simply because they are exotic but this is indeed happening all over the US
right now.
Sorry for ranting on but it is winter, the season for ranting in the frigid
Northeast.