[MPWG] Inflammation, Cancer, and Targets of Ginseng -- Hofseth and Wargovich 2007 -- Journal of Nutrition 137 (1): 183S

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Fri Feb 16 13:03:43 CST 2007

Another recent research article that was provided by a listmember (thanks,
Bob!).

Here are some highlights...

>Chronic inflammation is associated with a high cancer risk.
>...there are many natural food and herbal products that target the
inflammatory cascade.
>We have been examining the role of ginseng on the inflammatory cascade.
>There is evidence that ginseng has potent effects on key players in the
inflammatory cascade.

Another potential use for cultivated ginseng!?!

-Patricia

- - - - - -

Inflammation, Cancer, and Targets of Ginseng -- Hofseth and Wargovich 137
(1): 183S -- Journal of Nutrition
© 2007 The American Society for Nutrition J. Nutr. 137:183S-185S, January
2007

Supplement: International Research Conference on Food, Nutrition, and
Cancer
Inflammation, Cancer, and Targets of Ginseng1­3,
Lorne J. Hofseth4,* and Michael J. Wargovich5
4 Department of Basic Pharmaceutical Sciences, South Carolina College of
Pharmacy and 5 Department of Pathology and Microbiology, School of
Medicine,
University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208
* To whom correspondence should be addressed. E-mail: hofseth at cop.sc.edu.

Chronic inflammation is associated with a high cancer risk. At the
molecular
level, free radicals and aldehydes, produced during chronic inflammation,
can
induce deleterious gene mutation and posttranslational modifications of
key
cancer-related proteins. Other products of inflammation, including
cytokines,
growth factors, and transcription factors such as nuclear factor B,
control the
expression of cancer genes (e.g., suppressor genes and oncogenes) and key
inflammatory enzymes such as inducible nitric oxide synthase and
cyclooxygenase-2. These enzymes in turn directly influence reactive oxygen

species and eicosanoid levels. The procancerous outcome of chronic
inflammation
is increased DNA damage, increased DNA synthesis, cellular proliferation,
disruption of DNA repair pathways and cellular milieu, inhibition of
apoptosis,
and promotion of angiogenesis and invasion. Chronic inflammation is also
associated with immunosuppression, which is a risk factor for cancer.
Current
treatment strategies for reactive species overload diseases are frequently
aimed
at treating or preventing the cause of inflammation. Although these
strategies
have led to some progress in combating reactive species overload diseases
and
associated cancers, exposure often occurs again after eradication,
treatment to
eradicate the cause fails, or the treatment has long-term side effects.
Therefore, the identification of molecules and pathways involved in
chronic
inflammation and cancer is critical to the design of agents that may help
in
preventing the progression of reactive species overload disease and cancer

associated with disease progression. Here, we use ginseng as an example of
an
antiinflammatory molecule that targets many of the key players in the
inflammation-to-cancer sequence.

Overall, chronic inflammation is bad for human health. Extensive
laboratory and
clinical evidence shows that chronic inflammation contributes to cancer
(1).
Information on the key molecules involved in inflammation-driven
carcinogenesis
is emerging. These molecules include nuclear factor B (NF-B)6; toll-like
receptors; reactive oxygen and nitrogen species (RONS); cyclooxygenases
(COXs);
nitric oxide synthases (NOSs); pro- and antiinflammatory cytokines;
metals;
antioxidant enzymes; peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor ligands;
kinases; growth factors; and the tumor suppressor proteins, p53 and
retinoblastoma (pRb) proteins. Because we recently reviewed these key
players in
inflammation (1), here we present a summary table and figure (Table 1 and
Fig.
1). All are potential targets for cancer chemoprevention and treatment.
Many
specific and general mediators of these targets have strong potential to
be used
as chemopreventive agents in inflammation-mediated carcinogenesis.
Successful
applications include the use of tumor necrosis factor- inhibitors
(monoclonal
antibodies) for Crohn disease (6) and interferon- for hepatitis (7). More
general medicines that have consistently been found to inhibit many
diseases
associated with chronic inflammation (cancer, cardiovascular disease,
diabetes)
are nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs such as acetylsalicylic acid. A
derivative, 5-acetylsalicylic acid, has been used with remarkable success
in
ameliorating inflammatory bowel disease (8). The mechanisms of
5-acetylsalicylic
acid are not fully understood, but it inhibits COX weakly, activates
apoptosis,
inhibits proliferation and NF-B, scavenges RONS, and inhibits
RON-associated
base damage (1).

              Figure 1  The ubiquitous effects of ginseng on key players
            involved in the inflammation-to-cancer sequence.
Abbreviations: COX,
            cyclooxygenase; MMP, matrix metalloprotease; NF-B, nuclear
factor B;
            NO, nitric oxide; NOS, nitric oxide synthase; pRb,
retinoblastoma
            protein; PPAR, peroxisome proliferators activated receptor;
RONS,
            reactive oxygen and nitrogen species; ROS, reactive oxygen
species;
            TLR, Toll-like receptor.

To this end, there are many natural food and herbal products that target
the
inflammatory cascade. These include red wine (9,10), raw fruits and
vegetables
(11,12), and fiber (13,14). Many others, such as green tea (15), curcumin
(16),
and garlic (17), have strong antiinflammatory properties. We have been
examining
the role of ginseng on the inflammatory cascade. The following is evidence
in
support of the ability of ginseng to target multiple players in this
cascade.

Unconventional treatment: ginseng as a dietary supplement
Several types of ginseng are found throughout the world, and all are part
of the
Araliaceae family, species in the genus Panax. The name ginseng comes from
the
Chinese words "Jen Sheng," meaning "man-herb," because of the humanoid
shape of
the root or rhizome of the plant, which is the part of the plant most
commonly
consumed. The name Panax means "all healing," which describes the
traditional
belief that ginseng has properties to heal all aspects of the body. There
are
several different species of ginseng: 2 of the most commonly used are P.
ginseng
(Chinese ginseng) and P. quinquefolius (American ginseng) (18). P. ginseng
has
been used in the Orient for thousands of years, and P. quinquefolius has
been
used by Native Americans for hundreds of years (19). Ginseng is prepared
and
used in several ways: as fresh ginseng (sliced and eaten, or brewed in a
tea),
white ginseng (peeled and dried), or red ginseng (peeled, steamed, and
dried).
Traditional medicine suggests that red ginseng has the most potency but
modern
research has shown that all forms have many beneficial properties
(18,20,21).
Ginseng is believed to be most potent when harvested after 4­5 y of growth
(22).

Studies indicate that ginseng has potential as a chemopreventive agent or
adjuvant treatment. Some of the cancers shown to decrease significantly
with
ginseng use include cancers of the pharynx, stomach, liver, pancreas, and
colon
(22,23). Mechanisms include inhibition of DNA damage (24), induction of
apoptosis (25), and inhibition of cell proliferation (26). It is also
becoming
increasingly clear that ginseng has potent effects on the inflammatory
cascade
and may inhibit the inflammation-to-cancer sequence.

Ginseng targets the inflammatory players
There is evidence that ginseng has potent effects on key players in the
inflammatory cascade (Fig. 1). For example, ginsan, a polysaccharide
extracted
from P. ginseng, showed inhibition of s, the p38 MAP kinase pathway, and
NF-B in
vitro and inhibition of proinflammatory cytokines in vivo (27). The
ginsenoside
Rg3 was shown to inhibit phorbol ester­induced COX-2 and NF-B induction
(28).
BST204, a fermented ginseng extract, can inhibit inducible NOS (iNOS)
expression
and subsequent nitric oxide production from lipopolysaccharide-stimulated
RAW264.7 murine macrophages. In contrast, others showed that incubation of
the
same cells with P. ginseng showed a dose-dependent stimulation of iNOS
(29). We
are currently examining the effects of P. quinquefolius on nitric oxide
production in both ANA-1 mouse macrophages and colon cells as a part of
ongoing
investigations into the potential for ginseng to inhibit colon cancer. We
(25)
recently showed that P. ginseng can inhibit chemically induced abberant
crypt
foci in mice. As mentioned, a cytokine storm is associated with active
inflammation. It is therefore interesting to find that ginseng inhibits
the
lipopolysaccharide-induced production of tumor necrosis factor- and other
proinflammatory cytokines by cultured macrophages (30). Such an effect,
therefore, may have a chemopreventive outcome.

Ginseng can also inhibit other mediators of the inflammation-to-cancer
sequence,
such as matrix metalloproteases and kinase pathways (31). Recently it was
also
shown to activate peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor- (32) and
transforming growth factor-ß1 (33), which have the potential to inhibit
the
inflammation-to-cancer sequence (1). Finally, studies have found an effect
of
ginseng on key tumor suppressor proteins. For example, the ginsenoside Rs3

induces p53 and p21 (34) and other proapoptotic molecules (35). Ginseng
can also
cause the dephosphorylation and activation of the retinoblastoma tumor
suppressor protein (36). The influence of various forms of ginseng on
these
molecules has the ultimate effect of stimulating apoptosis and inhibiting
cell
cycle progression. Overall, this is a good example of a natural herb that
has
ubiquitous properties that are conducive to stopping inflammatory-mediated

carcinogenesis. Clinical studies on free radical overload diseases are
warranted.

         FOOTNOTES

1 Published in a supplement to The Journal of Nutrition. Presented as part
of
the International Research Conference on Food, Nutrition, and Cancer held
in
Washington, DC, July 13­14, 2006. This conference was organized by the
American
Institute for Cancer Research and the World Cancer Research Fund
International
and sponsored by (in alphabetical order) the California Walnut Commission;

Campbell Soup Company; Cranberry Institute; Hormel Institute; IP-6
International, Inc.; Kyushu University, Japan Graduate School of
Agriculture;
National Fisheries Institute; and United Soybean Board. Guest editors for
this
symposium were Vay Liang W. Go, Susan Higginbotham, and Ivana Vucenik.
Guest
Editor Disclosure: V.L.W. Go, no relationships to disclose; S.
Higginbotham and
I. Vucenik are employed by the conference sponsor, the American Institute
for
Cancer Research.
2 Author Disclosure: No relationships to disclose.
3 This work was supported in part by NIH grant 1 R21 DK071541-01A1 and the
COBRE
funded Center for Colon Cancer Research, NIH Grant P20 RR17698-01.
6 Abbreviations used: COX, cyclooxygenase; NF-B, nuclear factor B; NOS,
nitric
oxide synthase; MMP, matrix metalloprotease; PPAR, peroxisome
proliferators
activated receptor; RONS; reactive oxygen and nitrogen species.

         LITERATURE CITED
      TOP
      ABSTRACT
      LITERATURE CITED

1. Hofseth LJ, Ying L. Identifying and defusing weapons of mass
inflammation in
carcinogenesis. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006;1765:74­84. Epub 2005 Sep
8.[Medline]
2. Karin M. Nuclear factor-kappaB in cancer development and progression.
Nature.
2006;441:431­6.[Medline]
3. Lowenberg M, Verhaar A, van den Blink B, ten Kate F, van Deventer S,
Peppelenbosch M, Hommes D. Specific inhibition of c-Raf activity by
semapimod
induces clinical remission in severe Crohn's disease. J Immunol.
2005;175:2293­300.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
4. Ying L, Marino J, Hussain SP, Khan MA, You S, Hofseth AB, Trivers GE,
Dixon
DA, Harris CC, Hofseth LJ. Chronic inflammation promotes retinoblastoma
protein
hyperphosphorylation and E2F1 activation. Cancer Res.
2005;65:9132­6.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
5. Hussain SP, Raja K, Amstad PA, Sawyer M, Trudel LJ, Wogan GN, Hofseth
LJ,
Shields PG, Billiar TR, et al. Increased p53 mutation load in nontumorous
human
liver of wilson disease and hemochromatosis: oxyradical overload diseases.
Proc
Natl Acad Sci USA. 2000;97:12770­5.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
6. Hanauer SB, Sandborn WJ, Rutgeerts P, Fedorak RN, Lukas M, MacIntosh D,

Panaccione R, Wolf D, Pollack P. Human anti-tumor necrosis factor
monoclonal
antibody (adalimumab) in Crohn's disease: the CLASSIC-I trial.
Gastroenterology.
2006;130:323­33.[Medline]
7. Feld JJ, Hoofnagle JH. Mechanism of action of interferon and ribavirin
in
treatment of hepatitis C. Nature. 2005;436:967­72.[Medline]
8. Giannini EG, Kane SV, Testa R, Savarino V. 5-ASA and colorectal cancer
chemoprevention in inflammatory bowel disease: can we afford to wait for
‘best
evidence’? Dig Liver Dis. 2005;37:723­31.[Medline]
9. Estruch R, Sacanella E, Badia E, Antunez E, Nicolas JM, Fernandez-Sola
J,
Rotilio D, de Gaetano G, Rubin E, Urbano-Marquez A. Different effects of
red
wine and gin consumption on inflammatory biomarkers of atherosclerosis: a
prospective randomized crossover trial. Effects of wine on inflammatory
markers.
Atherosclerosis. 2004;175:117­23.[Medline]
10. Luceri C, Caderni G, Sanna A, Dolara P. Red wine and black tea
polyphenols
modulate the expression of cycloxygenase-2, inducible nitric oxide
synthase and
glutathione-related enzymes in azoxymethane-induced f344 rat colon tumors.
Nutr. 2002;132:1376­9.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
11. Wannamethee SG, Lowe GD, Rumley A, Bruckdorfer KR, Whincup PH.
Associations
of vitamin C status, fruit and vegetable intakes, and markers of
inflammation
and hemostasis. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;83:567­74.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
12. Sanchez-Moreno C, Cano MP, de Ancos B, Plaza L, Olmedilla B, Granado
F,
Martin A. High-pressurized orange juice consumption affects plasma vitamin
C,
antioxidative status and inflammatory markers in healthy humans. J Nutr.
2003;133:2204­9.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
13. Galvez J, Rodriguez-Cabezas ME, Zarzuelo A. Effects of dietary fiber
on
inflammatory bowel disease. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2005;49:601­8.[Medline]
14. Qi L, van Dam RM, Liu S, Franz M, Mantzoros C, Hu FB. Whole-grain,
bran, and
cereal fiber intakes and markers of systemic inflammation in diabetic
women.
Diabetes Care. 2006;29:207­11.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
15. Peng G, Dixon DA, Muga SJ, Smith TJ, Wargovich MJ. Green tea
polyphenol
(­)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 expression in
colon
carcinogenesis. Mol Carcinog. 2006;45:309­19.[Medline]
16. Maheshwari RK, Singh AK, Gaddipati J, Srimal RC. Multiple biological
activities of curcumin: a short review. Life Sci 2006;78:2081­7. Epub 2006
Jan
18.[Medline]
17. Ide N, Lau BH. Garlic compounds minimize intracellular oxidative
stress and
inhibit nuclear factor-kappa b activation. J Nutr.
2001;131:1020S­6S.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
18. Kitts DD, Wijewickreme AN, Hu C. Antioxidant properties of a North
American
ginseng extract. Mol Cell Biochem. 2000;203:1­10.[Medline]
19. Borchers AT, Keen CL, Stern JS, Gershwin ME. Inflammation and Native
American medicine: the role of botanicals. Am J Clin Nutr.
2000;72:339­47.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
20. Corbit RM, Ferreira JF, Ebbs SD, Murphy LL. Simplified extraction of
ginsenosides from American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L.) for
high-performance
liquid chromatography-ultraviolet analysis. J Agric Food Chem.
2005;53:9867­73.[Medline]
21. Yun TK. Panax ginseng­a non-organ-specific cancer preventive? Lancet
Oncol.
2001;2:49­55.[Medline]
22. Shin HR, Kim JY, Yun TK, Morgan G, Vainio H. The cancer-preventive
potential
of Panax ginseng: a review of human and experimental evidence. Cancer
Causes
Control. 2000;11:565­76.[Medline]
23. Kakizoe T. Asian studies of cancer chemoprevention: latest clinical
results.
Eur J Cancer. 2000;36:1303­9.[Medline]
24. Park S, Yeo M, Jin JH, Lee KM, Jung JY, Choue R, Cho SW, Hahm KB.
Rescue of
Helicobacter pylori-induced cytotoxicity by red ginseng. Dig Dis Sci.
2005;50:1218­27.[Medline]
25. Volate SR, Davenport DM, Muga SJ, Wargovich MJ. Modulation of aberrant
crypt
foci and apoptosis by dietary herbal supplements (quercetin, curcumin,
silymarin, ginseng and rutin). Carcinogenesis 2005;26:1450­6. Epub 2005
Apr
14.[Abstract/Free Full Text]
26. Kang KA, Kim YW, Kim SU, Chae S, Koh YS, Kim HS, Choo MK, Kim DH, Hyun
JW.
G1 phase arrest of the cell cycle by a ginseng metabolite, compound K, in
U937
human monocytic leukaemia cells. Arch Pharm Res. 2005;28:685­90.[Medline]
27. Ahn JY, Choi IS, Shim JY, Yun EK, Yun YS, Jeong G, Song JY. The
immunomodulator ginsan induces resistance to experimental sepsis by
inhibiting
Toll-like receptor-mediated inflammatory signals. Eur J Immunol.
2006;36:37­45.[Medline]
28. Keum YS, Han SS, Chun KS, Park KK, Park JH, Lee SK, Surh YJ.
Inhibitory
effects of the ginsenoside Rg3 on phorbol ester-induced cyclooxygenase-2
expression, NF-kappaB activation and tumor promotion. Mutat Res.
2003;523­524:75­85.
29. Friedl R, Moeslinger T, Kopp B, Spieckermann PG. Stimulation of nitric
oxide
synthesis by the aqueous extract of Panax ginseng root in RAW 264.7 cells.
Br J
Pharmacol. 2001;134:1663­70.[Medline]
30. Rhule A, Navarro S, Smith JR, Shepherd DM. Panax notoginseng
attenuates
LPS-induced pro-inflammatory mediators in RAW264.7 cells. J Ethnopharmacol

2006;106:121­8. Epub 2006 Jan 19.[Medline]
31. Jung SH, Woo MS, Kim SY, Kim WK, Hyun JW, Kim EJ, Kim DH, Kim HS.
Ginseng
saponin metabolite suppresses phorbol ester-induced matrix
metalloproteinase-9
expression through inhibition of activator protein-1 and mitogen-activated

protein kinase signaling pathways in human astroglioma cells. Int J
Cancer.
2006;118:490­7.[Medline]
32. Park MY, Lee KS, Sung MK. Effects of dietary mulberry, Korean red
ginseng,
and banaba on glucose homeostasis in relation to PPAR-alpha, PPAR-gamma,
and LPL
mRNA expressions. Life Sci 2005;77:3344­54. Epub 2005 Jun 23.[Medline]
33. Kanzaki T, Morisaki N, Shiina R, Saito Y. Role of transforming growth
factor-beta pathway in the mechanism of wound healing by saponin from
Ginseng
Radix rubra. Br J Pharmacol. 1998;125:255­62.[Medline]
34. Kim SE, Lee YH, Park JH, Lee SK. Ginsenoside-Rs4, a new type of
ginseng
saponin concurrently induces apoptosis and selectively elevates protein
levels
of p53 and p21WAF1 in human hepatoma SK-HEP-1 cells. Eur J Cancer.
1999;35:507­11.[Medline]
35. Kim YS, Jin SH. Ginsenoside Rh2 induces apoptosis via activation of
caspase-1 and -3 and up-regulation of Bax in human neuroblastoma. Arch
Pharm
Res. 2004;27:834­9.[Medline]
36. Oh M, Choi YH, Choi S, Chung H, Kim K, Kim SI, Kim DK, Kim ND.
Anti-proliferating effects of ginsenoside Rh2 on MCF-7 human breast cancer

cells. Int J Oncol. 1999;14:869­75.[Medline]

            This Article

            Abstract
            Full Text (PDF)
            Purchase Article