[MPWG] please help us with this mini survey

marguerite uhlmann-bower 3moonsisters at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 11:03:06 CST 2007

Dear Mitzi, Darlene, Mike, Nancy and MPWG list serve,

This email survey is for the purpose of a workshop that nurse-herbalist
Bonnie Kavanagh and myself will offer this Spring at *Kate Gildays* on June
2nd.

Called - *'Weaving Herbs into Your Nursing Practice'*.

We have 5 questions for wellness workers that we hope will define what you'd
like to recieve from a workshop such as this. Although this workshops title
notes 'nurse', *it is for ALL wellness workers that come in contact with
people / clients thus medicine and drugs*.

If you have stories you would like to share we will gladly tell them at this
workshop (as time permits) and will definitely honor the author by name and
contact info. This is important to Bonnie and I as we would like to keep
this a grassroots, oral tradition of learning. As well as bridge - where we
can - with evidenced based practice.

Below you'll find a brief outline of our workshop and then the 5 questions
follow.
*

Please pass this onto other herbalists, nurses, student nurses,
nurse-herbalists, NP's, ND's, MD's, Pharmacists, etc.
*

For as the more data we collect*,* the greater the offering we give to this
workshop and its participants.

PS: We would love it if everyone could come and participate at Kate's Yurt
on this day but of course room and work schedules make this difficult.
Therefore, Bonnie and I have discussed the possibility to offer this to
other herbal communities & institutions in the future.

Some of you may not be participating in health care at this time. Please
still
offer your input as to what you have seen or have come across. Everyone's
input
is important here. As we are all a part of our wellness.

Blessings, and we look forward to everyones input.
*Please respond* *no later than the first week of March*.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower

OVERVIEW of WORKSHOP

How do we as nurses and healers integrate the time-honored plant therapies
into our scope of practice? Join two nurse-herbalists as they explore the
use of herbals in various nursing & wellness venues. They will share their
knowledge on how they have woven Nature's medicine into their health-care so
that you can start incorporating plant remedies into your own caring
framework.

They will begin with briefly introducing traditional herbal terminology,
botanical applications and the safety issues that surround botanical
therapies. A brief look at constitutional case taking as it compares to the
nursing diagnosis and then take a look at how we choose herbs to enhance the
health and wellness of our clients and ourselves. Join this interactive
circle of multidisciplinary healers where the weaving of Nature's therapies
will be re-established.

Contraindications between medications and herbs will be a large part of this
workshop. As well as how we can begin to collaborate with orthodoxy health
care. Thus bringing us to the point where we can start to remove the
obstacles that our varying wellness language creates, for optimal client
assistance.

QUESTIONS:

1) What is your professional title?
* Nurse, * Herbalist, * ND, * Pharmacist, * MD, etc

2)What venue(s) do you work in?
* Public Health, * Community Herbalist, * OR,
* ER, * ICU, * LTC, * Clinic, * Herbal Apprentice with (teacher?),
* Student (school?), * Pharmacy, * Herbal Business, etc.

3) Have you encountered any herb / drug interactions?
* personal? * clients? * family? *institutional?
If so, what were the herb(s) and drug involved?

4) What are the 5 most common drugs you encounter in the course of your
workday?

5a) *Nurses*: does your intake form / triage procedure screen for the use of

herbs or OTC supplements?

5b) *Herbalists*: does your intake form screen for use of drugs?

--
Marguerite Uhlmann-Bower
R.N., Nurse-Herbalist