[MPWG] Forest Protection Week in DC May 21-6

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Tue Mar 28 07:07:19 CST 2006

forwarded from American Lands 3/27
Register for Forest Protection Week  in Washington, DC, May 21 - 26, 2006

You are  invited to attend American Lands’ annual Forest Protection Week in
Washington, DC, May 21 – 26, 2006.  With the  Walden-Baird logging bill moving
through the House Resources and Agriculture  Committees and an expected floor
vote in the House this Spring, American Lands  is organizing a Congressional
education week to bring forest advocates to  Washington, DC to educate Members
of Congress and their staff about the  important role natural disturbance
plays on our forests and the detrimental  impacts caused by logging after these
natural events.  We will also address other timely  national forest issues.

This is also an opportunity to educate  your entire Congressional delegation
about what is at stake on your forest and  in your region: including federal
lands for sale under the new Bush  administration’s proposal to fund the Secure
Rural Schools Act, threats to  roadless, old growth, and endangered species.
If you have examples of  successful forest restoration projects and community
protection projects, please  be prepared to talk about those examples as
well.

Your Congressional  representatives need to hear directly from you about the
importance of our national  forests and how their decisions can impact our
natural heritage for better or  for worse for years to come.  You can make a big
difference by coming to  Washington.  Members of Congress want to hear from
their constituents!  In  addition, you will gain valuable experience and
contacts with key lawmakers that  could prove beneficial in future efforts.  Please
join us!

_Register_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/americanlandsalliance/event/index.jsp?event_KEY=13330)   for Forest Protection  Week

To attend the Forest Protection Week, May 21-26,  2006, please complete the
online _registration  form_
(http://www.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizationsORG/americanlandsalliance/event/index.jsp?event_KEY=13330)  .  Please register
as soon as  possible and no later than April 19.  After you register, we
will be sending out information about housing, scheduling meetings on Capitol
Hill, and other logistics.

Scholarships

Travel scholarships  will be available for airfare or other transportation
such as mileage  reimbursement and bus or train ticket. In order to receive a
scholarship, you  must be in DC for three full days.  If you are in need of a
scholarship,  please put in your request as soon as possible.

Forest Protection Week Schedule

Issue briefing: On Sunday, May 21, there  will be an issue briefing from 3:00
p.m. – 6:00 p.m. American Lands strongly  encourages everyone attend.  This
is an important opportunity to be briefed  on the issues we will be working on
during the week and to learn tips on how to  effectively deliver your message
on Capital Hill.  Location to be  announced.

Hitting the  Hill:  Monday, May 22 – Friday, May 26, you will meet with
Members of Congress and their staff. We ask that you work with other activists
coming from your state to schedule meetings with your entire Congressional
delegation – both House and Senate. American Lands will help you connect with
activists from your region and we will provide you all the information and
materials you will need to schedule your meetings.  In addition to meeting  with
your delegation, you may be asked to meet with other key Congressional  offices
in your region.

Monday,  Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday evening at 5:30 p.m. we ask
everyone  to join us for a debriefing meeting to share information with each other
about  what we have learned in our meetings. On Thursday evening we will have a
party  to celebrate our efforts.

If you have questions, please contact  Jen Sawada, Campaign Associate at
jksawada at americanlands.org or at  202-547-5974.

We look forward to seeing you in  May!
Jennifer  Sawada
Campaign Associate
American Lands  Alliance
202-547-5974  (phone)
202-547-9213 (fax)

**The mission of American Lands Alliance is to protect and restore  America’s
forest ecosystems by  providing national leadership, coordination, and
capacity building for the  forest conservation movement. We provide national
leadership on forest policy  issues by combining grassroots experience with a deep
understanding of Washington  politics.**

For up to date information on  national forest issues go to:
_www.americanlands.org_ (http://www.americanlands.org/) .